This 32 page booklet is focused on fostering health and growth for Spinal Muscular Atrophy. Nutrition is a complex issue for anyone, but especially for children and adults with SMA. As you go through this booklet you’ll see that SMA may present some nutritional challenges, but by educating yourself, talking to other parents and getting help from a registered dietitian, children with SMA can receive a wide variety of benefits from good nutrition.
A wide variety of important topics are covered in the Nutrition Basics booklet including:
-Nutrition 101 - Mastering the Basics.-Building Blocks
-Understanding Nutrition for SMA.
-Methods and Measurements - Assessing SMA Nutrition.
-What, When and How Much? - Managing Nutrition in SMA.
-Obstacles to Nutrition - Facing Special Feeding Challenges.
-Finding the Balance - Preventing Overnutrition or Undernutrition.
If you would like a hard copy of this booklet mailed to you, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (800) 886-1762.
Nutrition Basics was authored by an array of SMA nutrition experts from all over the US. Families of SMA would like to thank these authors who helped make this incredible booklet possible. They include:
- Mary Schroth, MD University of Wisconsin Children’s Hospital
- Barbara Godshall, MMSc, RD, CSP, LD, CNSC Cincinnati Children’s Hospital
- Rebecca Hurst, MS, RD, CD University of Utah - Pediatric Motor Disorders Research Program
- Brenda Wong, MD Cincinnati Children’s Hospital
- Kathy Swoboda, MD University of Utah Medical Center
- Erin Seffrood, MS, RD, CSP, CD American Family Children’s Hospital
- Mary Marcus, MS, RD, CSP, CD University of Wisconsin
- Jamie Shish, RD, LDN
- Anne Meguiar
- Kathryn Rioch, RD, LDN
- Tonya Mason
- Jodi Wolff, RD University Hospital Cleveland
- Connie Rizzo, MD, RD, LD
Additional free SMA Care Series Booklets from Families of SMA, available in both English and Spanish, include:
- Caring Choices: For Parents of Infants Newly Diagnosed with SMA Type I
- Breathing Basics: Respiratory Care for Children with Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- The Genetics of Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- The Family Guide to SMA Research
- Families of SMA Patient Services and Family Support
The SMA Care Series Booklets are produced with the kind support and generosity of the Angel Baby Foundation.
If you have just learned that your child has been diagnosed with Spinal Muscular Atrophy, we know this can be a difficult, confusing and worrisome time. Families of Spinal Muscular Atrophy is an organization dedicated to helping parents, like you, by offering support, funding research and providing educational resources about SMA. At Families of SMA, we are always here to support you in any way possible. Please contact us at email@example.com or call 1-800-886-1762 to receive a free informational packet on SMA, as well as to receive additional resources available to SMA families.
# # #
Families of Spinal Muscular Atrophy is dedicated to creating a treatment and cure by:
- Funding and advancing a comprehensive research program
- Supporting SMA families through networking, information and services
- Improving care for all SMA patients