Prior to Crest Nicholson (Regeneration)
Lying on what was the floodplain of the River Avon the area was close to the centre of medieval Bristol. Used for agricultural purposes by the Abbey of St. Augustine during the medieval period, the area became known as Canon’s Marsh.
The Abbey was constructed in 1170 and in 1542 became the Cathedral which still stands prominently over the area.
Built between 1804 and 1809, the Floating Harbour, which now forms the backdrop of waterside living and celebrated its 200th anniversary in 2009, was built to maintain a more or less constant water level along the section of the River Avon. This was where goods were brought in on ships and made Bristol one of the most important and influential ports in the world.
The Floating Harbour was required as the large tidal flow of the River Avon, about 30 feet between high and low tide, caused ships to be stranded in the mud for long periods of time.
Following the construction of the Floating Harbour at the beginning of the 19th Century the area was used for a number of industries including timber yard and rope manufactory.
Excavations have revealed that the rope manufactory stood to the south of the modern Anchor Road (behind Harbourside)
Demolished in the early 20th century the rope manufactory was replaced by a rail transit shed, part of which survives as the @ Bristol building.
More recently the area became industrial land with a gasworks and sheds where goods brought in on ships were stored.
The past six years however has transformed the area reflecting the needs of the modern city where the harbour has become a leisure asset rather than a working port.
This includes office headquarters for major banking groups, hotel, casino, luxury apartments, restaurants, bars and shops in addition to a marina where boats can be moored.
The project has also created a landscaped waterside which has opened up the area to the public and includes a new Harbour Inlet and pontoons so that owners can moor their boats on the historic floating harbour.
Awarded a Building for Life Gold Standard from the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment (CABE) it has widely been regarded as one of the country’s finest examples of city re-development.
The new modern Harbourside has a real cosmopolitan feel to it and like a lot of UK towns and cities many people have been attracted not only by the inner-city buzz but also the unparalleled convenience it provides.
It has also appealed to those whose children are studying at the highly regarded Bristol University which is located about five minutes walk away.
And there’s no doubting that the attractions of living in the city-centre is why so many people have decided to make the award-winning development their home.
A few minutes walk from Park Street and Queen Square, those wanting to get to Temple Meads or the legal and financial district near Bristol Bridge can hop on the water ferry which has a designated stop outside the development.
The centre is only a few minutes walk away and there are numerous restaurants and bars close by including Bordeaux Quay, Chinese restaurant Zen and Pizza Express.
And those with a little more energy can make use of Fitness First health club, while numerous other leisure pursuits are right on the doorstep.
Boasting stunning views of the harbour out towards Brunel’s ss Great Britain, The Matthew and the countryside that surrounds the city, the selection of one, two and three-bedroom apartments are spacious in design with many including balconies that make the most of the development’
Having opened up an area that, less than a decade ago, was a real eye sore in the heart of Bristol, Harbourside has become a real benefit to the city and is something the people of Bristol should not only make the most of but be proud of for years to come.
For further information visit http://www.harbourside.co.uk