Yang is the owner and master personal trainer at Beyond Fitness Solutions, LLC -- a leading in-home personal training and weight-loss management company serving and helping clients in Morris County, Sussex County, Passaic County, Essex County and Somerset County areas in New Jersey.
Health and fitness is the case where haste makes waste, as the old saying goes. Many people start the new year with good momentum, then lose steam by the end of January. By February, most people already quit or visit the gym much less often.
One study from the University of Scranton showed that a quarter of people who resolve to lose weight and change their eating habits on January 1st will go back to their old ways within a week. By the end of January, one-third of people quit. Only half people still stay on their New Year's resolutions after 6 months.
"No wonder it's such as a big struggle for many people whether to make or not to make New Year's resolutions. They want to set goals and achieve them. On the other hand, they are also afraid of failing to keep the resolutions,"
Yang explains 5 common pitfalls when making New Year's resolutions and shares his strategies to beat the New Year's Resolution Syndrome.
1. Dream big but start small. Just like many people, I like to gain muscle, lose fat, and stay in top shape. As a personal trainer, I have to walk the walk, not just talk the talk. My goal is a minimum 4 sessions of strength training and 3 sessions of cardio exercise and conditioning per week. The cardio and conditioning part is my challenge.
My plan is to start with small baby steps. I will start to add some form of cardio or conditioning work at the end of each strength training session for 15 minutes. As I make progress, I can do cardio at separate sessions for a longer duration of 30 to 45 minutes for a total of 3 hours of cardio exercise a week.
2. Make multiple resolutions that reinforce each other. This is a common pitfall for most people that don't realize it. Why make "annual" resolutions that you can only follow for a month? Have a big picture. Break it down into smaller, more realistic, achievable mini goals. You'll feel better when you accomplish the mini goals.
My strategy is to design my training programs according to different goals in different training phases. It's called training program periodization. In a nutshell, you change the training stimulus by varying volume, load, and intensity in each training cycle ranging from 6 weeks to a year. Pull out a annual calendar. Mark the beginning and end of each training phase. I will design my training program according to each goal in each phase and also change up my workout routines in each phase.
3. Food is your friend, not your foe. Make a good friend with food. It turns out that stress eating, emotional eating, overeating, and mindless eating cause more weight gain. The food area in which I want to improve is vegetables. My goal is to eat at least two servings of dark green or leafy vegetables per day, such as broccoli, spinach, kale, Romaine lettuce, bok choy, etc.
I plan to list my weekly grocery shopping list with at least three dark or leafy vegetables. I will buy enough for the week's portion. Cook twice a week. Freeze the rest. When the meal time comes, I will simply reheat them.
4. Get a good night sleep. I know many people are eating late, snacking, drinking alcohols and, watching TV shows in the evening to unwind their stress from the day. These poor habits disturb your sleeping quality. My problem is mostly from my busy work schedule training clients late in the evening. I usually have to get up early for morning clients.
I need to set limits in my work schedule by communicating with my clients. In addition, I will schedule in mid-afternoon, 20-minute power naps to help me recover from the morning and get ready for evening client trainings.
5. Watch your environment. When you want to lose weight and stay fit and healthy, you need to watch out who you're associated with. You are the product of five of your closest friends. Obesity is epidemic and contagious. Some people call it "sympathetic weight gain" with your friends. Stay close to your fit and healthy friends, but don't break up with your overweight friends just yet.
I plan to join or start a mastermind group for like-minded people who are positive, fit, healthy, high-energy, and high-performance. By surrounding myself with these people, I can improve my personal growth and business acumen.
Watch the slideshow video on how to beat the New Year's Resolution Syndrome:
About C. Carey Yang and Beyond Fitness Solutions, LLC
C. Carey Yang, Your Dream Body WorkoutXpert (TM), is a certified personal trainer and fitness boot camp instructor based in Morris County, New Jersey. He provides in-home personal fitness training, backyard boot camp, wellness and lifestyle coaching, and fitness and weight-management seminar. He specializes in helping busy, working professionals who want safe, effective workouts with maximum results in minimum time. Yang is the creator of the 6-Step Dream Body Blueprint (TM) Body Transformation System.
To learn more about lifestyle and wellness coaching, personal fitness training and nutritional counseling and to sign up for a free monthly e-zine, receive free fitness and fat loss e-books, and schedule a complimentary consultation, visit http://www.BeyondFitnessSolutions.com.
He is also available for media interviews, providing a list of tips and articles, and presenting wellness and fitness seminar. Call 973-303-2424 or email Carey at BeyondFitnessSolutions.com.
"Denville, NJ" "Boonton, NJ" "Montville, NJ" "Kinnelon, NJ" "Mountain Lakes, NJ" "Rockaway, NJ" "Randolph, NJ" "Succasunna, NJ" "Chester, NJ" "Morristown, NJ" 'Mendham, NJ" "Madison, NJ" "Chatham, NJ" "Short Hills, NJ" "Sparta, NJ" "Hackettstown, NJ" "Montclair, NJ" "Wayne, NJ" "Bedminister, NJ" "Basking Ridge, NJ" "Bernardsville, NJ" "Personal Trainers" "In Home Personal Training" "Morris County, NJ" "Sussex County, NJ" "Essex County, NJ" "Passaic County, NJ" "Somerset County, NJ" "Fitness Bootcamps" "Biggest Loser" "Fat Camp" "Fat Loss" "Weight Loss" "Female Personal Trainers"
# # #
The company provides In-home personal fitness training, backyard boot camp, wellness and lifestyle coaching, and weight-management seminar. We specialize in helping busy people who want safe, effective workouts with maximum results in minimum time.