After the movie, a complete gourmet dinner of a special penne pasta, accompaniments, salad, garlic bread, beverage and dessert will be there to enjoy at $12 per person. No reservations needed for the movie, but it is a must to reserve your dinner by January 17 by calling 561-276-5796. People may also attend the movie without the dinner, or the dinner not the movie.
Brenda Robinson, organizer of the event says, “We gathered the finest oldies rock talent in South Florida to entertain in this concert. We have created something driven by pure love of music; a show that filled Palm Beach County with nostalgia and joy. A lot of fans were up north and missed it. Photographer/
The performers seen in the concert and the film include:
• Ricky Skurnik of Highland Beach (on stage he is Rick Jeffreys) who, as lead singer for The Sheffields, was inducted in the Music Association Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Iowa last September. Ricky also toured with The Boxtops in a troupe managed by impresario Gabe Garland. Ricky sang lead for a time with Blood Sweat and Tears as well.
• The duo “Like Honey” (The Sliwin Sisters) of Delray Beach, renowned for their intricate harmonies, and performed with Bob Seger and with Glenn Frey of the Eagles, Loretta Lynn and more. They also entertained troops in Vietnam with Bob Hope, and were honored at a Vietnam Veterans Conference in Reno last summer.
• Originally from New Jersey, (now Lake Worth) “One Plus One” (Marion and George Frega) are a duo who have entertained Prince Rainier and Prince Albert, and shared stages with Barry Manilow, Jack Jones, the Platters and more.
• DYMiN of Belize, (now Boynton Beach) delights audiences around the world with her original and other rock, reggae, and soca tunes, and appears regularly at Crane's Beach House and Tiki Bar in Delray.
• Gina Turchiaro A gifted, in-demand rock singer who is accompanied most every weekend by some of the hottest bands in the South.
• Also appearing is Elisa James, who knocks our socks off with her upbeat personality and emotional torch songs. An Australian acrobat and trapeze artist turned cabaret singer, she has graced stages and ships with her mellow voice from Tahiti to Athens.
• The popular Bill Band, made up of bass player Skip Sheffield and his brother drummer John Sheffield, guitarist and band namesake Bill Curtis and vocalist/pianist Deneen Wellings.
• Jason Colannino, who with his mellow guitar plays often at Delray’s The Sundy House and Boynton’s The Living Room, has requests filled in a heartbeat with his repertoire of more than a thousand songs. Watch for his wife Kim to join him in a rousing rendition of a James Taylor hit.
• Kailin Garrity, a singer songwriter, has a blues/jazz/soul/
• The show was emceed by concert organizer and old time rock buff Brenda Robinson, who shares snippets of old rock ‘n roll info with the crowd between tunes.
For more information, contact the church office at 561-276-5796.
# # #
Unity of Delray Beach is a non-denominational church that welcomes guests and congregants of all faiths. We are located at 101 NW 22nd St. at Swinton Avenue. For more information please call 561-276-5796. For prayer, dial our new prayer line at 561-900-2559.