“There are simple life-saving steps you can take to ensure a safe and happy holiday,” says Marc Ludwig of Egg Harbor Township, an Exclusive Agent with Allstate New Jersey. “By following these steps, individuals can greatly reduce their chances of becoming a holiday casualty.”
The National Safety Council offers the following safety tips to ensure a fire or other accident doesn't spoil your holiday season:
• A real tree can fill your home with beauty and the scent of pine. But a real tree can also pose a fire hazard. Select a fresh tree by looking for one that is green. The needles of pines and spruces should bend and not break and should be hard to pull off the branches. On fir species, a needle pulled from a fresh tree will snap when bent, much like a fresh carrot. Also, look for a trunk sticky with sap.
• Cut off about two inches of the trunk and put the tree in a sturdy, water-holding stand. Keep the stand filled with water so the tree does not dry out quickly.
• Stand your tree away from fireplaces, radiators and other heat sources. Make sure the tree does not block foot traffic or doorways.
• If you use an artificial tree, choose one that is tested and labeled as fire resistant. Artificial trees with built-in electrical systems should have the Underwriters Laboratory (UL) label.
• Only use indoor lights indoors and outdoor lights only outdoors. Look for the UL label. Check lights for broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires, or loose connections. Replace or repair any damaged light sets.
• Use no more than three light sets on any one extension cord. Extension cords should be placed against the wall to avoid tripping hazards, but do not run cords under rugs.
• Turn off all lights on trees and decorations when you go to bed or leave the house.
• Always use the proper step stool or ladder to reach high places.
• Read labels before you use materials that come in jars, cans and spray cans.
• Never place lighted candles on a tree or near any flammable materials.
• Avoid placing breakable tree ornaments or ones with small, detachable parts on lower branches where small children or pets can reach them.
• Do not hang popcorn chains and candy canes on the tree when small children are present. They may think that other tree ornaments are also edible.
For more information on this and other safety topics, contact Marc Ludwig at 609-645-6999.
About Allstate New Jersey Insurance Company
Known through the “You’re In Good Hands With Allstate®” slogan, Allstate New Jersey Insurance Company and its affiliates help individuals in more than a half million New Jersey households protect what they have today and better prepare for tomorrow through approximately 270 agents and financial representatives. Customers can access Allstate New Jersey products and services through Allstate agencies, or at allstate.com and 1-800 Allstate®. The Allstate Financial Group provides life insurance, supplemental accident and health insurance, annuity, banking and retirement products designed for individual, institutional and worksite customers that are distributed through Allstate agencies, independent agencies, financial institutions and broker-dealers.
# # #
Performance Marketing provides support for all marketing and management functions including strategic planning, budgeting, advertising, Internet marketing, collateral, data analysis, reporting, direct marketing, distribution management and much more.