The poll, which followed PrivateFly’s own top 10 list published last year, asked travel fans and pilots for their most inspirational landing. Voters could choose from a suggested shortlist of 28 or nominate an airport outside the shortlist. A total of 79 global airports received a mention, with the top 10 receiving the most votes as follows:
1. Barra Airport (Scotland, UK)
Topping the list with the biggest number of votes was tiny Barra Airport, on Barra Island in Scotland’s Outer Hebrides. The airport has a unique beach runway - the only one in the world for scheduled aircraft - with flight times varying according to the tide as the runway is literally washed away once a day. The beach is also open to foot visitors who must observe the windsock to see if the airport is in operation. One voter commented “Beautiful scenery and it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity to land on a beach”.
2. London City Airport (London, UK). A highly scenic and steep approach over iconic London landmarks.
3. Jackson Hole Airport (Wyoming, USA). Surrounded by the spectacular scenery of the Grand Teton National Park and mountains.
4. Aruba Airport (Dutch Caribbean). The runway approach gives stunning ocean and island views.
5. Malé Airport (Maldives). Highly scenic views of the archipelago of the Maldives and Indian Ocean.
6. St Barts Airport (French Caribbean). Very tight angles, unusual wind conditions and a short runway of 650 metres.
7. Queenstown Airport (New Zealand). Famously beautiful scenery including Lake Wakatipu and the Southern Alps and Remarkables mountain ranges.
8. Gibraltar (British overseas territory). The rock of Gibraltar looms large on the stunning approach, causing unusual wind patterns and turbulence.
9. Narvik Airport (Norway). One of the world's most northerly airports, within the Arctic Circle in northern Norway.
10. St Maarten (French/Dutch Caribbean). Exceptionally close to the beach, with low-flying aircraft skimming the heads of holidaymakers below.
Commenting on the poll’s results, Adam Twidell, CEO of PrivateFly.com, and an experienced pilot, said: “A thrilling view on approach is a huge part of the joy of flying - for passengers and pilots alike. When PrivateFly.com published its own top 10 airport landings list last year, it inspired widespread and passionate debate. That’s why we decided to ask our website users, aviation fans and pilots for their opinions.”
Michael Galbraith, station manager for Barra airport, says, “To be voted number one is a wonderful accolade for Barra Airport. To be up against some of the most beautiful parts of the world such as the Maldives and St Barts is testament to Scotland’s stunning scenery. When arriving at Barra Airport, the landing on the beach is certainly one of the most unusual.
“It goes to show that when it comes to a stunning landing, small can definitely be more beautiful.”
Twidell continued: “It’s interesting to note that most of the airports on the list are smaller ones rather than major international airline hubs – including the winner, tiny Barra. The voters have reminded us all that flying can be a thrilling highlight of any journey, not just a means of getting there."
Notes to editors:
More details on the poll and the top ten airports, including images and videos of each approach can be found at: http://www.privatefly.com/
PrivateFly is an online booking network that makes it quicker, easier and more cost effective to arrange private jet charter.
With over 2700 operators registered worldwide, PrivateFly is the only online aggregator for private jet charter in Europe.
PrivateFly combines online efficiency and transparency with offline expertise to offer a full-service VIP charter service to direct customers and partners. The bespoke software has been created in-house specifically to meet the needs of charter customers and operators. In 2010 PrivateFly launched the world’s first iPhone application to provide instant private jet pricing on a mobile phone and now offers the equivalent application for the Android platform.
PrivateFly.com was awarded Website of The Year in Flight International’
Founded in 2008, PrivateFly is based in St Albans, Hertfordshire. In September 2011 it announced successful investment fundraising of £2 million, enabling international expansion plans and further enhancements to its technology platform.
For further information, interviews or imagery, please contact:
T: +44 (0)20 8543 6582
# # #
PrivateFly is an online booking network that makes it quicker, easier and more cost effective to arrange private jet charter. With over 2700 operators registered worldwide, PrivateFly is the only online aggregator for private jet charter in Europe.