CES, the world’s largest consumer technology tradeshow held by the Consumer Electronics Association®
Among the 30 CES awards for 2012, Samsung was recognized with two Best of Innovation awards and four Eco-Design honors. Products entered in the CES Innovations program are judged by a preeminent panel of independent industrial designers, engineers and members of the media to honor outstanding design and engineering in cutting-edge consumer electronics products across 36 categories.
“Technology and design innovation are the cornerstones of Samsung products," said Sang Sok Roh, president and CEO, Samsung Electronics Levant “We’re honored that CEA recognizes Samsung’s continued commitment to research and development across product categories. We look forward to offering the best user experiences through our latest product innovations in 2012.”
Products entered in the CES Innovations program are judged by a preeminent panel of independent industrial designers, engineers and members of the media to honor outstanding design and engineering in cutting-edge consumer electronics products across 36 categories.
Many of the winning products will be first unveiled at Samsung’s CES press conference, scheduled for 2 p.m. on Monday January 9, 2012. The following are additional details for some of the award recipients:
The Samsung 830 Series solid-state drives (SSDs) set a new standard for performance and reliability. Their SATA 6Gb/s data interface allows these internal storage drives to handle data up to twice as fast as previous-generation SSDs, with sequential read speeds up to 520 MB/sec and random read speeds up to 80,000 IOPS. Maximum storage capacity has also doubled, with the addition of a new 512 GB version (64GB, 128GB and 256GB SSDs are also available).*
• The Samsung Series 7 Slate PC challenges all preconceived notions of a Windows slate computer offering all of the features of a full-sized laptop in an extremely portable package. With a Samsung-exclusive SuperBright Plus 11.6” capacitive touch HD display, powerful Intel® Core™ i5 processor, and available with Windows® 7 Professional operating system, and an up to 128 GB solid state hard drive, this full power slate meets the needs of even the most demanding users and allows for maximum productivity anywhere they go.
• The Samsung Notebook PC Series 7 Chronos is a sleek, advanced laptop providing powerful, highly portable cutting edge technology to mobile users. With an aluminum body encasing a Samsung-exclusive SuperBright HD+ display, Intel® Core™ i5 or i7 processors, Samsung’s exclusive FastStart technology, a 750GB hard drive and an 8GB ExpressCache™
• The Samsung Galaxy S® II Epic™ 4G Touch packs industry-leading hardware and software and the latest version of the Android™ smartphone platform. The Galaxy S II is highlighted by Samsung’
• The Samsung Galaxy™ S II at AT&T features industry-leading hardware and software and the latest version of the Android™ platform within a slim smartphone, at 8.89mm at its thinnest. The Galaxy S II™ is highlighted by Samsung’s own Super AMOLED™ Plus display technology on a 4.3-inch screen, a powerful 1.2 GHz dual core application processor and a robust array of entertainment, messaging and social networking services and applications.
• The Samsung Sidekick™ 4G is the next generation Android 2.2-powered messaging centric device that delivers an integrated social networking experience with group text messaging, access to Google services and video chat capabilities.
• The Samsung Galaxy Tab™ 8.9 (Wi-Fi) is powered by Android™ 3.1 Honeycomb offering faster and smoother transitions between different applications, more intuitive navigation to and from home screens and broader support of USB accessories, external keyboards, joysticks and more.
• The Samsung Galaxy Tab™ 10.1 (Wi-Fi) is powered by Android™ 3.2 Honeycomb offering faster and smoother transitions between different applications, more intuitive navigation to and from home screens and broader support of USB accessories, external keyboards, joysticks and gamepads.
• The Samsung Galaxy Tab™ 10.1 with 4G LTE is powered by Android™ 3.1 Honeycomb and is the thinnest mobile tablet currently available in the world, measuring in at an ultra-slim 8.6mm. Additionally, it offers download speeds of 5-12 Mbps and upload speeds of 2- 5 Mbps in 4G Mobile Broadband coverage area.
As part of Samsung’s PlanetFirst™
• The Samsung SMH2117S Over The Range Microwave is the first microwave to feature an LED light for the cooktop, located underneath the microwave. The LED lamp in Samsung’s SMH2117S uses less than a tenth of the power consumption (2.4W/1EA) of current conventional incandescent (40W/1EA) or halogen (20W/1EA) cook top lamps. In addition, its Ceramic Enamel interior makes it seven times more scratch and rust resistant than other microwave interiors, and an Eco Mode saves up to 40% in energy by turning the display off when not in use.
• The Samsung LTI460AP01 Transparent Liquid Crystal Display is a see-through panel at least 22” diagonal, providing high-definition images with low power consumption and the ability to operate on solar-replenished battery power. These extremely thin LCD panels are expected to be used in a variety of applications such as for advertising on cooler or commercial freezer glass doors in supermarkets;