Across the market, almost 200,000 of these consumers are due to come to the end of their fixed rate deal in the next six months, and more than 80% of these will end their deal on an interest rate of 4.00% or above.
Fixed rate pricing across the market is at an all time low, and Northern Rock offers a range of two-year fixed rate mortgage deals below 4.00%, which could save some borrowers more than £100 per month compared to their existing deal.
For example, the average fixed interest rate ending in January 2012 for borrowers with 30% equity in their property is 4.68%. A borrower switching from this to Northern Rock's two-year fixed rate at 2.67% would see their monthly payment fall significantly over the fixed rate period.
For borrowers with 20% equity in their property, the average fixed rate ending in January 2012 is 5.09%. A borrower switching from this to Northern Rock's two-year fixed rate at 3.47% would see their monthly payment fall substantially over the two-year deal.
Lloyd Cochrane, Head of Lending Products at Northern Rock said: "Many people do prefer the security of a fixed rate mortgage and this research highlights the opportunity that exists for consumers in the market at present, with fixed rate deals currently available at such low rates.
"Northern Rock continues to play its part in that market by offering some very attractive rates. We believe we can help more than 80% of these consumers to reduce their monthly payments, so, when looking at where to remortgage when their current fixed rate deal ends, it is important that borrowers shop around to get the best product to suit their circumstances."
More information on Northern Rock's mortgages can be found on its award-winning mortgages (http://www.northernrock.co.uk/
Notes to Editors:
Key figures and assumptions from research:
- Research conducted by Northern Rock indicates 197,672 customers with 20% equity in their property will come to the end of their current fixed rate deal between November 2011 and April 2012.
- 163,970 will be coming to the end of deal with an interest rate of 4.00% and above.
- This equates to 82.9% of those customers i.e. 8 in 10.
- *Source: CACI's Mortgage Market Database, correct at 10 October 2011.
- Northern Rock offers a number of fixed rate remortgage deals below 4.00%.
- Product fees may apply on the new product selected.
- Customers are advised to check any applicable exit fees with their existing lender.
About Northern Rock
Northern Rock plc. is a bank, authorised by the FSA as a deposit taker and mortgage lender from 1 January 2010. It offers savings accounts (http://www.northernrock.co.uk/
Northern Rock continues to operate within the compensatory measures agreed with the EC as part of the State Aid approval announced in October 2009.
In June 2011, Northern Rock was awarded a national Big Tick Award in Business in the Community's Awards for Excellence, in the category of Building Stronger Communities.
Northern Rock House
Newcastle upon Tyne
0191 279 4676