Start planning your end-of-the-year getaway by making reservations, choosing from a number of locally owned options, such as cabins, cottages, inns, motels and resorts. Ideas can be found on the LRTA website under Where to Stay. During the Lakes Region’s off season, discounts are offered at a number of locations, including:
- Belknap Point Motel, 107 Belknap Point Road, Gilford.
- Cheney House Bed & Breakfast, 82 Highland St., Ashland.
- Inns & Spa at Mill Falls, 312 Daniel Webster Highway, Meredith.
- Lighthouse Inn Bed & Breakfast and Cottages, 913 Scenic Drive, Laconia.
- Lord Hampshire Motel & Cottages, 885 Laconia Ave., Winnisquam.
- Oliver Lodge, 92 Powers Road, Meredith.
- Woodstock Inn Station & Brewery, 135 Main St., North Woodstock.
There is always a variety of activities and events happening in the Lakes Region, but visitors are encouraged to take advantage of seasonal opportunities that take place for a limited time each year, say LRTA staff. Here are a few of the events happening in the Lakes Region. More events can be found on the LRTA’s Events Calendar:
New this year is Gift of Lights at New Hampshire Motor Speedway, 1122 Route 106 North, Loudon. More than 1 million LED lights and hundreds of holiday light displays will line a mile of the park. The cost is $15 per vehicle, and the first 15,000 cars to drive through will receive a gift bag. The inaugural season of this drive-through park runs from Nov. 18-Jan. 1, operating from 6-9 p.m. Sunday-Thursday and 5:30-10 p.m. Friday-Saturday.
Keep up the excitement for Christmas with Santa Trains, courtesy of Hobo Railroads in Lincoln. Beginning Nov. 25 and running weekends through the weekend before Christmas, this 80-minute ride includes hot chocolate, cookies, a gift, and meeting Santa and his elves! Tickets are $15 for coach, $18 for first class, and children younger than 2 are free.
Take part in an old-fashioned Christmas celebration from 3-8 p.m. Saturdays, Dec. 3 and 10, at Canterbury Shaker Village, 288 Shaker Road, Canterbury. Enjoy a candlelight stroll and horse-drawn sleigh or wagon rides. Musical performances, craft and food demonstrations and a treasure hunt are all part of the holiday fun. Admission is $17 for adults, $8 for children ages 6-17, children 5 and younger are free; a $42 family rate covers 2 adults and 3 children.
Sleep in an extra hour or two, then re-energize with a favorite meal that’s missed too often: Sunday brunch. Restaurants serving the late-morning feast include the following establishments:
- The Corner House Inn, 22 Main St., Center Sandwich.
- The Homestead Restaurant & Tavern, 1567 Summer St., Bristol.
- Lakehouse Grille, 281 Daniel Webster Highway, Meredith.
- Mame’s Restaurant, 8 Plymouth St., Meredith.
- Tilton Inn / Onions Pub & Restaurant, 255 Main St., Tilton.
The Lakes Region Tourism Association is the official tourism board of the region, representing close to 100 communities, 273 lakes and ponds, and more than 380 businesses in central New Hampshire, including area attractions, restaurants, retail establishments and accommodations. For more information or visitors guides, visit http://www.LakesRegion.org or follow on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/
# # #
We take ideas from spark to finish! Full service marketing, advertising & public relations. Traditional & new media solutions! Since 1984, LTD Company has provided creative solutions for businesses seeking to take their marketing to the next level.