In 1957, several plans were laid in the United States for a battlefront tank with a heavy 105 mm main gun and a redesigned hull offering better armor protection for a variety of situations. The resulting M60 tank series largely resembles the M48 it was designed from, but has tremendous differences. The M60 mounted a bore evacuated 105 mm main tank gun, compared with the M48's which had a 90 mm barrel, had a hull with a straight front slope where as the M48's hull was rounded, had three support rollers per side to the five found on the M48, and had road wheels made from aluminum and not steel.
With regard to the differences in engines the new and improved design brought with it a Continental V-12 750 hp air-cooled, twin-turbocharged diesel engine, bringing the operational distance and range to over 300 miles (480 km) which reduced both refueling and servicing. Power was submitted to a final drive through a cross drive transmission a combined transmission, differential, steering, and then braking unit. The tank's hull was a single piece steel casting divided into three compartments, with the driver in front, fighting compartment in the center and engine at the rear. The driver viewed through 3 M27 day periscopes, one of which could be replaced by an infrared night vision periscope if required.
At the beginning, the M60 had basically the same turret shape as the M48, but this was later replaced with a distinctive "needlenose"
Originally called the M68, the new vehicle was put into production in 1959, redesignated as the M60, and entered service in 1960. Over 15,000 M60s (all variants) were constructed making it one of the largest produced tanks of modern times.
Designed for the armor crews both Army and Marines and the dedicated teams that brought the heavy steel to the fight!
To get your own M60 Tank design t-shirt, visit us at: http://www.vision-