Earlier in October, it was reported that at least 40 students from the University of Delaware were forced to leave their dorm rooms also due to mold issues. In addition to these places of higher education, a number of elementary through high schools across the region have also had to deal with mold problems this school year.
Mold spores can be found virtually everywhere. All it takes is moisture, which can be in the form of flooding, broken pipes, leaking roofs and windows or even just elevated humidity levels for mold to begin to grow. People who come in contact with elevated levels of mold may suffer allergies, asthma attacks and even possible infections in some cases.
Many school administrators report that Hurricane Irene, along with a damp wet period that followed the historic hurricane, made conditions ideal for mold growth in structures that suffered water damage. “When conditions are right, mold can begin growing indoors in as quick as 24 hours,” reported Susan White, Ph.D., CMC. Dr. White is the President of Sussex Environmental Health Consultants (SEHC), a leading mold and IAQ consulting firm. “Not only have schools with tight maintenance budgets been forced to tackle mold issues head on, but everything from single family residences to commercial structures are now dealing with this issue,” she continued.
SEHC sponsored a public outreach video about the health effects of mold exposure, it can be seen at:
To learn more about SEHC’s IAQ, environmental, or health and safety services, please visit http://www.sussexenvironmental.com, email susan.white@
# # #
About Sussex Environmental Health Consultants, LLC
SEHC is a certified woman owned business that provides environmental and health and safety consulting services. The company is located in the Mid-Atlantic and services customers nationwide. SEHC provides solutions to clients ranging from homeowners to international Fortune 500 Corporations.