Preparing for a storm involves more than stocking up on masking tape, batteries and water. You need to have all the information and resources in place in dealing with your insurance company should damage occur, especially since many policies have undergone significant changes in recent years. The most important thing for any policyholder that experiences storm damage is to receive full and fair compensation for their loss.
We advise home and business owners to turn to a public insurance adjuster / insurance claims adjuster if they incur property damage this hurricane season. Public insurance adjusters are licensed by the State of Florida to advocate for and assist insured consumers in the preparation, presentation, and adjustment of their property insurance claims, and according to a recent legislative review, consumers working with public adjusters often secure significantly higher compensation than those who go it alone.
A report released in 2010 by the Florida Legislature’
The report (No. 10-06), showed that consumers working with public adjusters received an average of 747 percent higher compensation for claims filed in 2008 and 2009 related to the 2005 hurricanes. For non-catastrophe claims (those not related to a declared state of emergency), policyholders received 574 percent higher compensation when working with public adjusters.
The OPPAGA report definitively showed that public insurance adjusters play a vital role in making sure that Florida consumers receive full compensation on their claims.
FAPIA advises insured policyholders to take a number of steps to prepare for
potential hurricane damage. These include:
- Making a visual record of your home and possessions to help establish your claim
after a loss
- Carefully reviewing your insurance coverage to check whether it covers flood or wind damage, and whether it takes into account current market value
- Reviewing the “Duties After Loss” section of the policy. Failure to follow listed provisions could result in non-payment
- Reviewing the “Exclusions”
- Researching licensed FAPIA public adjusters in the area that can quickly respond should damage occur. For a list of public adjusters, visit the FAPIA website at
Protect your property!
# # #
Elite Insurance Claims Services Corp specializes in representing consumers in the adjustment of insurance claims for both commercial and residential property losses.We have many years of experience in providing assistance to all types of insurance claims.