That is because Taylor, who has addressed thousands of supply chain and transportation industry leaders over the past six years, delivers a single powerful message about issues behind rising oil costs and the growing impact on the transportation industry. These presentations have won Taylor raving fans around the world as they outline how rising oil prices are having a growing negative impact on global supply chains, and also have helped him gain one of the highest achievement honors by a supply chain professional:
“Chuck Taylor is a true professional who has spent his career demonstrating the significance of the logistics and supply chain management disciplines in companies he has worked for and with,” said Rick Blasgen, CSCMP’s President and Chief Executive Officer.
Taylor’s concern for the supply chain industry dates back to his childhood job as a railroad clerk in Dallas, TX. Growing up in Texas brought Chuck in early contact with oil “bidness,”
Taylor’s now famous presentation, The End of Cheap Oil: Is Your Supply Chain Obsolete?, not only aims to inform his audience about the factors leading to rising oil prices, but to encourage supply chain professionals to seriously investigate alternatives to current practices and to aggressively explore new supply chain and fuel management strategies.
The basic messages of this presentation include:
• Oil impacts every cost in today’s global supply chain – transportation, raw materials, packaging, etc.
• The world is at a peak of conventional, affordable oil production
• Oil powers 95 percent of the world’s transportation today and most supply chains were designed when oil and transportation were cheap.
• Seventy five percent of proven world oil reserves are in the hands of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), primarily located in politically unstable countries in the Middle East and North Africa.
• There are no widely-available substitutes for oil for global transportation needs now or in the immediate future.
• This is a deep, intractable problem of energy transition that requires time, money, new infrastructure, both brown and green solutions and new supply chain solutions.
Taylor’s presentation also outlines opportunities for supply chain and transportation leaders to start enacting change within their own organizations by looking at every aspect of the supply chain and driving innovation to help mitigate some of the consequences of rising oil prices.
“Chuck Taylor is simply outstanding in his ability to convey his very important message to transportation, logistics, and supply chain managers,” said Dr. Ray Mundy, Barriger Professor of Logistics & Transportation, and Director, Center for Transportation Studies at the University of Missouri - Saint Louis. “Supply chain professionals and students alike should listen to this significant warning and, with Chuck’s help, start taking steps to plan for this new reality. Whether you are a shipper, carrier, policy maker, or educator, there is much to learn from Chuck as he blends his many years of experience with knowledge of what to do and how to manage our energy resources of today and the future.”
Taylor works with companies and organization across many industries that rely on transportation as a key to their performance. His belief in the importance of rapid change and new supply chain and energy management strategies that can effectively power the global supply chains continues to be proven by escalating oil prices and statements from leading industry analysts.
“I have worked with Chuck for more than 25 years, and he always demonstrated a thoughtful, caring and strategic management style,” said Joseph Andraski, President and CEO, Voluntary Interindustry Commerce Solutions Association. “He loves to make a difference, and change management is a skill which he has honed to a fine art. These strengths, coupled with his business acumen and passion, have led to Chuck being sought as a leader that could bring immediate benefit to a company in trouble.”
Taylor’s upcoming speaking engagements include:
• Chicagoland WERC Council, October 19, 2011
• International Food Service Distributors Association (IFDA) – 2011 Distribution Solutions Conference, October 24, 2011
• CSCMP Arizona’s 5th Annual Symposium, November 8, 2011
• VCF Annual Fall Conference, November 13, 2011
• Retail Industry Leaders Association, Retail’s Supply Chain Conference – Logistics, February 19-22, 2012
• Food Shippers of America’s annual Food Industry Transportation and Logistics Conference, February 27-28, 2012
• CSCMP Central Texas (Austin) Roundtable, March 2012
For more information or to contact Mr. Taylor about his availability as a speaker or supply chain consultant, contact him via Facebook, LinkedIn (http://www.linkedin.com/
About Awake! Consulting
Awake! Consulting was founded in 2005 in order to provide senior supply chain and transportation professionals with unvarnished information about rising oil prices and strategies for overcoming the growing energy challenges facing the transportation industry. Led by CSCMP Distinguished Service Award winner Chuck Taylor, Awake! Consulting works with senior managers that are committed to preparing their organizations for a sustainable future. For more information on Awake!, visit Chuck’s blog at http://blogs.dcvelocity.com/