Enjoy A Gluten Free Holidays With Royal Rose Radicchio!
SALINAS , CA (October 15, 2011) Tis (almost) the holidays!. Royal Rose is working in fresh, creative Gluten Free recipes to inspire the way you live! Royal Rose Radicchio offers five Gluten Free holiday tips and two gluten free recipes sure to inspire your holiday season!
• Be part of the menu planning. Call the host in advance to discuss the menu and what can be made gluten-free. It's not difficult for someone to make turkey gravy with cornstarch or gluten-free flour instead of traditional flour if they know in advance.
• Make gluten-free versions of your must-have dishes. Whether it's stuffing, sweet potato casserole, rolls, pie or cheesecake, offer to bring a gluten-free version of that dish to make sure it really feels like the holidays for you.
• Be aware of potential cross-contamination. Even if some of the dishes are gluten free, it's easy for someone to casually use the same serving utensil for gluten and gluten-free dishes alike. If the dinner is being served "buffet-style"
• Turkey, stuffing, gravy, cookies, pies and cakes can all be made gluten-free with a few simple adjustments and advanced planning.
• Enjoy all of the naturally gluten-free foods the holidays have to offer. Fresh fruits, vegetables and meat are all naturally gluten-free. Click here for naturally gluten-free appetizers, soups, and desserts.
Here are two holiday recipe ideas to spice up your Gluten Free menu.
Royal Rose Radicchio Risotto
1 head Royal Rose radicchio, finely chopped
5 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup finely minced onion
1-1/2 cups arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Bring broth to simmer in a saucepan. Meanwhile, heat the butter and oil in a 4-quart casserole and sauté the onion for 1-2 minutes, until softened. Add the rice and stir for 1 minute. Add the wine and cook until it is all absorbed. Add the radicchio, and then start to add the simmering broth 1/2 cup at a time, letting each addition be completely absorbed before adding another 1/2 cup. Reserve 1/4 cup broth to be added at the end. This takes approximately 18 minutes to reach al dente stage. Then add the last 1/4 cup of broth and the Parmesan. Combine well and serve immediately.
Radicchio Salad with Frisée and Apples
1 head radicchio, thinly sliced
½ head frisee, sliced
1 apple, cut into matchsticks (I used Braeburn)
olive oil , to taste
balsamic vinegar, to taste
½ cup walnuts, toasted
In a large salad bowl, combine radicchio frisee and apple
Drizzle salad with olive oil and vinegar and toss
Toss walnuts over salad
Recipe by Elanas Pantry.
Background on Royal Rose The Company:
The “Salad Bowl of the World” gained some much-needed color, flavor and crunch in 1993 with the formation of Royal Rose LLC of Salinas, California. It proved to be the perfect combination “Old World vegetable meets New World agriculture power” and the results have been delicious.
Royal Rose took to growing and shipping four varieties of radicchio, a member of the chicory family that is revered in Italy and throughout Europe as a fresh, zesty addition to salads, pastas, pizzas and more. The vibrant color, pleasing bitterness and unmistakable crunch come together to form a unique addition to any meal.
It all started when Italian farmers Lucio Gomiero and Carlo Boscolo teamed up with Salinas Valley growers. With the packaged salad revolution about to explode, the timing couldn’t have been better. Royal Rose turned a seasonal vegetable into a year-round treat, following the sun through four growing regions to supply the growing market with field-fresh radicchio.
Led by company president Dennis Donohue (who also happens to be current mayor of Salinas), Royal Rose’s Fresher-Bigger-
Radicchio has begun to enjoy mainstream acceptance by consumers. McDonald’s now includes radicchio in its premium salads in many markets, and chefs all over the country have come to look beyond the salad, holding the versatile vegetable in high esteem and using it raw, grilled or sautéed and in a variety of specialized dishes.
Royal Rose Radicchio’s newest marketing campaign “Salads for Adults” ™ offers the Foodservice arena a new high-end, high-nutrition line of starters for the bar and restaurant. “Salads for Adults” product packaging and recipe cards are available for Retail outlets as well so that consumers see consistent messaging. Professionally developed recipes, social media applications, and cooking demonstration videos will support the campaign on the Royal Rose website www.radicchio.com.