Average temperatures during Columbus Day weekend fall in the 60s in the Lakes Region. Visitors love wearing light layers during a time of year that’s comfortable for a long walk or hike, a day of outlet shopping, or taking the final opportunity to dine outdoors at one of the area’s many restaurants.
Activities are aplenty as fall really swings into gear. Below are a few Columbus Day weekend highlights:
- Columbus Day Weekend Sale: Friday-Monday, Oct. 7-10. Tanger Outlet Center, Route 3, Tilton. www.TangerOutlet.com/
- 100th Annual Sandwich Fair: Saturday-Monday, Oct. 8-10. 7 Wentworth Hill Road, Sandwich. www.TheSandwichFair.com. An old time agricultural fair with entertainment for all ages and families. Tractor pulls, horse show, oxen pulls, stage shows and amusement rides. $10 for adults, $3 for children 8-12, children 7 and younger are free.
- Fall Foliage Celebration:
- Guy Shorey: Among the White Hills: Saturday, Oct. 8. Karl Drerup Art Gallery, Plymouth State University, 17 High St., Plymouth. www.Plymouth.edu. Shorey was a preeminent photographer in New Hampshire’s North Country in the first half of the 20th century. This exhibit explores his life as an observer, an entrepreneur and as an artist.
- Explore Squam Cruise: Saturday, Oct. 8. Squam Lakes Natural Science Center, Route 113, Holderness. www.NHnature.org. Take a guided tour on a canopied pontoon boat and learn about the history, wildlife and people who have enjoyed the region, as well as see locations where “On Golden Pond” was filmed 30 years ago. Member price: adults, $20; seniors, $18; children ages 3-15, $16; children 2 and younger, free. Non-member price: adults, $22; seniors, $20; children ages 3-15, $18; children 2 and younger, free.
- Sunday Champagne Brunch Cruise: Sunday, Oct. 9. M/S Mount Washington, Weirs Beach. www.CruiseNH.com/
- Golf at Kingswood Golf Club: All weekend. 37 Kingswood Road, Wolfeboro. www.KingswoodGolfClub.com. Make a tee time and take the family out for a round of golf at this semi-private, 18-hole championship golf course. Children/grandchildren of members are able to play for free, and take advantage of discounted rates after 2 p.m. every day.
- Foliage Trains: Through October. www.FoliageTrains.com. Opt for a 1.5-hour trip on the Hobo Railroad in Lincoln, a 2-hour trip aboard the Winnipesaukee Scenic Railroad from Meredith and Weirs Beach, a 4-hour ride to Livermore Falls or a foliage dinner train from Meredith. Prices vary.
The Lakes Region Tourism Association is the official tourism board of the region, representing close to 100 communities, 273 lakes and ponds, and more than 380 businesses in central New Hampshire, including area attractions, restaurants, retail establishments and accommodations. For more information or visitors guides, visit http://www.LakesRegion.org or follow on Facebook or Twitter.
# # #
We take ideas from spark to finish! Full service marketing, advertising & public relations. Traditional & new media solutions! Since 1984, LTD Company has provided creative solutions for businesses seeking to take their marketing to the next level.