Safeway will also donate $20,000 to the winning city’s local parks and recreation organization to aid with maintaining their park facilities, which have come under pressure from country-wide budget cuts. Everyone who votes will have the opportunity to win a year’s supply of free Open Nature foods that cover every meal of the day from granola and yogurt in the morning to sausage, chicken, and pasta for dinner, to ice cream for dessert. All Open Nature products are free of artificial ingredients, including coloring, flavors, sweeteners, additives, and preservatives.
“When we developed Open Nature, we listened to our customers to help us define what natural should mean when it comes to their food,” said Nancy Cota, vice president of innovation, consumer brands at Safeway. “We heard what they were looking for in natural foods, it’s now time to hear what they think makes their city the most natural city in the U.S. Whether it’s their parks, outdoor activities or their promise to be environmentally friendly, we want to reward that city’s commitment to being natural. Local parks and recreation departments across the country told us they need support due to budget cuts and we want to step up and make a difference.”
Starting today through Friday, September 16, consumers can visit www.Facebook.com/
For more information and to join the contest, visit www.Facebook/
World’s Longest Picnic Table: By the Numbers
• 305 feet was the measured length of the World’s Longest Picnic Table, which is 5 feet longer than a football field and equivalent to 38 standard picnic tables
• 7,176 feet of FSC Certified Douglas Fir wood with a soy-based eco-sealant providing a green alternative to preserving the tables for outside wear and tear
• It took 4 people 10 days to build the World’s Longest Picnic Table
• The World’s Longest Picnic Table weighs more than 11,304 lbs
• This table breaks the previous Guinness World Record (248 feet, 2 inches) set in New Orleans, October 2009
• 405 people sat around the World’s Longest Picnic Table on National Picnic Day, June 18th, 2011 on the Marina Green, in San Francisco, CA
• 1 city will receive 25 tables sectioned off from the World’s Longest Picnic Table
Safeway Inc. is a Fortune 100 company and one of the largest food and drug retailers in North America, based on sales. The company operates 1,694 stores in the United States and western Canada and had annual sales of $41.1 billion in 2010. The company's common stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol SWY. The Open Nature line is an addition to the Safeway portfolio of health and wellness brands, joining O Organics™ and Eating Right®.
Follow Safeway Open Nature on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/
# # #
National retail grocery chain with stores throughout located throughout North America (approximately 20 states and Canada).