After the films screened, each audience member voted for their two favorite films, then headed downstairs to hear live music from The Black Noise or upstairs to the roof for free gourmet sandwiches and a specially created take on a party mix from Whim Kitchen, as cARTel staff members tallied up the votes and the judges huddled up in a room for a secret deliberation to determine their pick.
An hour after the screening ended, the entire crowd gathered downstairs for the winner’s ceremony.
The Audience Choice went to Jesse Johnson, for her documentary Bare Feet.
1. $700 worth of Budgeting and Scheduling software from Showbiz Software, as used by all major networks and tv shows such as The Office, Parks and Recreation, 24, and more.
2. A 90 minute publicity photo session with V.V.H photography
3. A half hour pitch meeting with Attention Span Media - the makers of Hulu's #1 most popular web series, Dorm Life!
The Critic’s Choice went to comedy, The Bellybutton, directed and produced by Steven Wilson
1. A fully produced film premiere of the winner's next film, including space, press, reception, and more... FREE (a $1500 value)
2. $700 worth of Budgeting and Scheduling software from Showbiz Software, as used by all major networks and tv shows such as The Office, Parks and Recreation, 24, and more.
3. A 90 minute publicity photo session with V.V.H photography
4. A half hour pitch meeting with Attention Span Media - the makers of Hulu's #1 most popular web series, Dorm Life!
5. A feature interview with Rentfoodbroke.com, which will be featured on the front page of the website.
6. A spot on next year’s Judge’s Panel
Honorable Mentions went to
Til Death Do Us Part, musical, Directed by Nanca Miyata/Produced by Teaser Tuesday
Captain Hook: Vampire Hunter, animation, Directed and Produced by David Kantrowitz
The Drop, music video, Directed by Nik Kazoura/ Produced by The Kloons
1. The 2011 Showbiz Directory, with every listing for everything you would ever need to make a film.
2. The 2011 Showbiz Labor Guide
3. A year’s worth of tickets to cARTel shows/events
The critics panel featured an enthusiastic and eclectic group of behind the scenes creatives, including Bellflower’s Evan Glodell and Vincent Grashaw (who brought along Medusa!), writer/producer Ashley Edward Miller (Thor, Fringe), producer Brian Udovich (The Key Man, The Wackness), producer/director Joe LaMattina (Last Call with Carson Daly), producer/writer Bill Steinkellner (Cheers), director/producer West McDowell (2011 Gold Medal Narrative at the 38th Annual Student Academy Awards), Cinematographer John Schmidt (The Guild), and film critic, Kate Erbland (Film School Rejects).
Photos from the red carpet can be found here:
Photos from the event itself can be found here:
# # #
As you might have noticed, we do a lot of stuff. A lot. We bring locals together through boundary-pushing arts events and highly collaborative, ensemble-driven productions. We fill our audiences and our casts with people who are not interested solely in performing or solely in watching, but rather in sharing the experience of art with one another. We look to empower both long time and beginner art...ists by providing inspiring opportunities to create and perform, diverse and affordable workshops, and dynamic venues to meet and engage with like-minded visionaries. We believe that a community alive with art will thrive with conversation and understanding, and progress. Art conversing with people conversing with people conversing with art.