PRLog - Aug. 23, 2011 - SAN ANTONIO -- Sonny Melendrez, legendary radio and TV personality, keynote speaker, author, actor and San Antonio icon, will for the first time present his never before exhibited personal art work and life artifacts at a reception in his honor. The event, Celebrating the Life and Times of Sonny Melendrez, inspired by his book, “The Art of Living With Enthusiasm!”, will allow an up close and private experience with the much beloved San Antonio native.
Sonny will share stories, brought to life by the priceless memories that will grace the walls of the Bismarck Studios. He will be available to sign books and enjoy moments of laughter with the gathered guests..
For most San Antonians, the fact that he is included in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame or was the host of a Disney Series is probably less important than remembering him as the always uplifting radio host on KTFM, Magic 105, KLUP, and KAHL morning radio shows. The City of San Antonio named the Sonny Melendrez Community Center in his honor for his countless efforts on behalf disadvantaged youth and families and more than 1500 motivation school presentations.
For over 20 years, he has hosted San Antonio’s most prestigious events and welcomed dignitaries and royalty from around the world from Sylvester Stallone to Princess Grace of Monaco.
So what's in the future for Sonny Melendrez? He is developing a television project for PBS based on his book, "The Art of Living With Enthusiasm!, working on a children's book and TV series for his original character, Bono Duck, traveling the country delivering inspiring keynote presentations, and launching a new daily radio show on The Rose 99.9 FM.
As Sonny likes to say when asked about his adventure-filled life, "I'm almost halfway there!"
For more on Sonny, visit SonnyMelendrez.com
- Twice named Billboard Magazine's "Radio Personality of the Year", he has is included in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame as one of the Top 100 Radio Personalities of All Time. In 2004 he was inducted into the Texas Radio Hall of Fame.
- Melendrez has hosted drive time shows at KMPC, KFI, KMGG, KIIS, and KRLA Radio in Los Angeles and has been a spokesperson for companies such as Disney, Pepsi, McDonald's, Sears and Sprint. In the 1970s, he guest hosted American Top 40 on several occasions.
- He hosted the award winning children's series, You And Me, Kid, on the Disney Channel, and has hosted or been a featured keynote speaker at The White House Hispanic Heritage Awards, the National "Just Say No To Drugs" Rally at the Washington Monument, the USO 50th Anniversary Gala at the Ambassador's Palace in Paris, France, and over 5,000 events worldwide.
- In 1985 he created the children's version of "We Are The World" in Los Angeles where over 1500 children participated in the recording and video, and proceeds from record sales benefited USA For Africa. Sonny received a Grammy nomination for "Best Children's Recording."
- He appeared in Rocky II starring Sylvester Stallone, has provided the voices of several characters in Hanna-Barbera's The Jetsons cartoon series, played opposite Walter Matthau as the voice of Bob Cratchet in the animated TV classic.
- He was chosen from a field of over 140,000 as the new voice of the Parkay Margarine Talking Tub and provided the voice of Jerry Seinfeld for ActiVision.
# # #
Bismarck Studios Contemporary Fine Art Gallery is the premier art center at the North-side of San Antonio. The Gallery guaranties high quality, original art work from well established artists as well as new comers to the art scene.