The World Scout Jamboree was originally started by Lord Baden Powell, the founder of the Scouting movement and is a way of bringing Scouts together in the largest event of its kind from across the world. The 22nd World Scout Jamboree was held in Rinkaby, in the south of Sweden with the theme of 'Simply Scouting' focusing on meetings, nature and solidarity.
Lucy, who is a Beaver leader in Louth, attended the Jamboree as part of the International Service Team (IST) who help run the site and activities for the young people. She said: "Scouting provides such fantastic opportunities. To be part of something on such a large scale was absolutely amazing. The opening and closing ceremonies saw all the 40,000+ attendees come together for one purpose. The atmosphere and feeling you get as a part of that is incredible."
Lucy worked with the International Press Team providing support and assistance to journalists from all over the world who visited the site. She also had the opportunity to work with Al Jazeera (Arabic news network) Children's Channel to produce a live show from the site.
Wilkin Chapman Grange is a strong believer in Corporate Social Responsibility and was happy to support Lucy for her trip. As well as trying to help local charities, the firm is committed to staff development and believed the Jamboree would aid Lucy's development in personal and leadership skills.
Julia Whittaker, Wilkin Chapman Grange's chief executive said: "We were delighted to support Lucy with her venture and it has been really interesting hearing of her experiences with the International Press Team. Lucy's participation in Scouting events is a prime example of the type of activities we encourage staff to undertake in the community and helps form part of our Corporate Social Responsibility programme."
Chief Scout, Bear Grylls said: "Over the course of the Jamboree, Scouts were able to meet people from around the world, take part in amazing adventures and experiences, as well as be challenged to think about global issues in a new light."
Notes to editor:
1. About the Jamboree
• The 22nd World Scout Jamboree Sweden 2011 took place from 27 July 2011 to 7 August 2011.
• The Jamboree was held on the fields of Rinkaby, not far from the town of Kristianstad, in the province of Skåne, in the south of Sweden.
• The Jamboree was visited on numerous occasions by the King and Queen of Sweden and the Swedish, Danish and Finnish Prime Ministers aswell as UK Chief Scout, Bear Grylls.
• The first meeting took place in 1920; with the exception of the war years and a cancelled meeting in Ira in 1979, it has taken place every four years ever since.
• For more information about the World Scout Jamboree Sweden 2011 please visit http://www.worldscoutjamboree.se/
2. About Scouting
• The Scout Association was founded on 1st August 1907.
• Adventure is at the core of Scouting, and the Association passionately believes in helping their members fulfil their full physical, intellectual social and spiritual potentials by working in teams, learning by doing and thinking for themselves.
• Over 200 activities are offered by Scouting around the UK, made possible by the efforts of 90,000 voluntary adult leaders. This has helped make scouting the largest co-educational youth Movement in the country.
• One of the challenges that the Scout Movement faces is finding more volunteers to plug the current gap. At present there are more than 33,000 young people on waiting lists as more and more young people want to experience the adventure of Scouting.
• Adults working in Scouting contribute in excess of 364 million hours of voluntary work each year to their local communities.
• The number of volunteers working for Scouting is bigger than the combined workforces of the BBC (24,000) and McDonalds (67,000) put together.
• Worldwide Scouting has 28 million members both male and female and operates in nearly every country in the world.
# # #
Wilkin Chapman LLP is the leading law firm in Lincolnshire and East Yorkshire. We deliver an unparalleled range of legal services to both private and commercial clients who are based locally, nationally and internationally.