Increase risk of strokes, delivering babies early and difficulty controlling blood sugar levels in those with diabetes, are a number of the possible health complications associated with gum disease.
Studies have shown that 80 percent of adults presently have a form of periodontal disease, according to the Colgate website.
"The longer a patient keeps plaque on their teeth, the more harmful it may become," said Dr. Vincent J. Mariano, a Springfield, MA dentist. (http://www.emadental.com/)
The dentists at EMA Dental, a Springfield, MA cosmetic dentist (http://www.emadental.com/
Mariano explains a few tips to help prevent periodontal disease.
1. Brush At Least Twice a Day - Brushing thoroughly can remove plaque and tartar from surface areas before hardening. Using a fluoride toothpaste may help prevent decay as well.
2. Floss Daily- This may be the only way to remove plaque from surfaces the toothbrush can’t reach.
3. Mouthwash- Antiseptic mouthwash typically removes the hidden bacteria in the mouth.
4. Eat A Well Balanced Diet - "Be smart about all meal choices; A patient can't go wrong with fruits and vegetables,"
5. Visit The General Dentist Regularly - Routine check-ups and professional cleanings can keep patients a step ahead in the fight against gum disease. A dentist could intervene if patients have any signs of periodontal disease, such as: bad breath, swollen gums, loose teeth or sensitive teeth.
Keeping up with the routine appointments and following proper hygiene protocol may help the fight against gum disease. Cosmetic procedures that are provided by a dentist, tooth whitening included, can be added to a healthy smile to look vibrant.
To learn more about EMA Dental, visit the blog: http://www.emadental.com/
About EMA Dental
With offices in East Longmeadow and Northampton, MA, EMA Dental is a multi-specialty practice committed to providing state-of-the-
© 2011 Master Google and EMA Dental group. Authorization to post is granted, with the stipulation that Master Google, a SEO strategy group, is credited as sole source. Linking to other sites from this document is strictly prohibited, with the exception of herein imbedded links.
# # #
EMA Dental is a patient-oriented dentistry practice that provides all types of general, family and cosmetic dentistry services including dental implants, dental crowns, porcelain veneers and dental bridges in Northampton, Amherst and Springfield, MA.