PRLog - Aug. 8, 2011 - APEX, N.C. -- NDŌHD by Altaravision, Inc. is sponsoring an Endoscopic Assessment of Swallowing Hands-On Practicum by ProCourse CEUs in Orlando, FL September 17th and 18th 2011. ProCourse is approved by the Continuing Education Board of ASHA to offer continuing education activities in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology. The program is offered for 1.3 CEU’s (Introductory Level, Professional Area). ASHA approval of CE Provider status does not imply endorsement of course content, specific products, or clinical procedures. Altaravision, Inc. is the developer of NDŌHD High Definition Fiberoptic Evaluation of Swallowing Equipment (FEES), the leading technology for FEES swallowing assessments. More about their FEES equipment can be seen at http://www.ndohd.com/
FEES is growing in acceptance as the preferred method of swallow studies for patients with dysphagia. The class will cover background and development of the FEES procedure, demonstrations of the latest fiberoptic endoscopic evaluation of swallowing studies equipment, anatomy learning, swallow study protocols and results analysis and interpretation. There will also be significant time spent on hands-on training and individual instruction to develop nasoendoscope procedural skills.
“FEES has been shown to be equally good in the four major swallowing parameters, while being more convenient for the patient since it can be done bedside without the radiation associated with the competition Modified Barium Swallow Study ”, says Stuart Bradley, CEO of Altaravision, Inc.
“Every participant will leave this course knowing that they are capable of scoping their patients effectively, and will be able to model the kind, caring, relaxed approach of Drs. Crary and Carnaby-Mann to put their patients at ease during the procedure. This is something that cannot be "taught". It is definitely a skill that needs to be seen in person.” Said Cynthia Barnett, CEO of ProCourse CEUs.
The FEES Course will be taught by two thought leaders in the field of Speech-Language Pathology. Michael A. Crary, Ph.D is a Professor in the Department of Communicative Disorders, Director of the Swallowing Research Laboratory and member of the College of Health and Health Professionals. He will be joined by his colleague Giselle Carnaby-Mann, Ph.D (BAppSci, Pgrad Dip (HSc), MPH, Ph.D) who works with him in the Department of Communicative Disorders and Swallowing Research Laboratory at The University of Florida Health Science Center.
The FEES Course Study’s two day curriculum includes:
• Review of anatomy – pictures and video from nose to PES
• Basic Procedures of Endoscopic Assessment
• Initial hands-on session with head dummies – refinement and variant techniques
• Procedures for swallowing evaluation during endoscopy. Live demonstration of a healthy adult volunteer
• Initial hands-on session with course partner – *Direct supervision only: Head dummies will be available for practice without supervision
• Second hands-on session with course partner - *Direct supervision only: Use skills checklist focus on physiological assessment
• Organizing an endoscopic swallowing assessment with focus on adjustments based on clinical presentation, materials needed and compensations
• Third hands-on session with course partner - *Direct supervision only: Use skills checklist focus on assessment of swallowing
• Group discussions
• Putting it all together – Each participant will complete a thorough assessment of their course partner and document their findings. Partners will be encouraged to mimic a disease pattern contributing to dysphagia
ProCourse CEUs is dedicated to offering quality CEU courses to Speech-Language Pathologists and others in the area of Rehabilitation. They offer the most exciting, engaging, iterative , and upbeat courses in the profession.
Register soon as class space is filling up quickly for this FEES Course. It will be at the Best Western Lake Buena Vista Resort. For more information and to register call 1-800-348-3765 or visit http://ndohd.com/
# # #
Altaravision, Inc. is the developer of NDOHD High Definition Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing Equipment. Based out of Apex, NC, Altaravision NDOHD equipment is growing in use by hospitals and clinics nationally for swallow studies.