Allen says, “Most businesses would welcome supplementing their paid advertising with free promotion to balance the promotional budget. Well-crafted press releases can be valuable to both the media and business.” Having taught marketing for the Management Development Program at the University of Prince Edward Island that included a component on developing press releases Allen describes the contents saying, “this booklet is designed to guide you through the background of a press release, what media are looking for and how to develop your own press release, creating a valuable tool to add to your business promotional strategy.”
To give a sample of the new book and e-book – here is the top 10 list of to do and don’t of press releases:
1. Do: List a contact that will be available to speak to the media.
2. Do: Put time and energy in providing a solid news story.
3. Do: Provide additional background information that adds to the story i.e youtube video, photo, etc.
4. Do: Be sure to have approval from your organization before issuing the release.
5. Do: Check all your links to be sure they work and are ready to be viewed.
6. Do: Make sure to have someone proof read it.
7. Do: Take the time to develop a quality title.
8. Do: Get approvals for any quotes and ensure the names are properly spelt.
9. Don’t: Make your press release a sales pitch – it will turn media off immediately.
10. Don’t: Abuse the press release – if you have news then go ahead if not, then wait.
Interesting fact: Did you know that Kindle books can be viewed on your PC with simple downloadable software? No Kindle required. http://www.amazon.com/
Tracey Allen has been in marketing for over 12 years, a member of the Professional Writers Association of Canada and held membership in various public relations organizations over the years. Working with small business has been the cornerstone of her career. Allen taught marketing at the University of Prince Edward Island from 2000 to 2005 for the Management Development Program and included training in writing press releases and online marketing as essential components of the course.
She can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com For more information visit www.traceyallenconsulting.com or follow her on http://twitter.com/
To order a book or e-book visit http://www.amazon.com/
# # #
Helping business to succeed in the areas of market research, promotions, public relations, and online/social marketing has been and continues to be Tracey's objective in business.