The deployment will allow Geometric employees to access their server-hosted virtual desktop from anywhere and from a broad range of devices, with the cloud infrastructure also helping to drive business productivity and reduced operating costs.
• Based on NetApp unified storage, Cisco Unified Computing System, and Citrix XenDesktop the VXI architecture offers templates for easy deployment, a starter kit for the first 300 desktops, and plug-and-play expansion packs to scale to tens of thousands of additional users.
• A cost reduction of Rs. 1.2 million (approx. USD 27000) is anticipated with the deployment of 600 desktops. Geometric has already achieved significant benefits by an initial deployment of 250 desktops, which will further improve with scale.
• By adopting the VXI solution the company has been able to centralize desktop management and as a result not only reduce the security threat but also reduce the time spent on management (for tasks like installation restoration of OS and other applications)
• Cost efficiencies are expected to increase further by enabling longer desktop refresh cycles, resulting in greater opportunity to enable highly secure remote working, telecommuting and use of consumer computing devices.
• Geometric is looking to provide end users access to their Virtual Desktops from their own devices or from their homes in the future, and is working towards deploying a Virtual desktop solution for 3D Graphics applications.
Prashanta Ghoshal, Director, IT Solutions and Services, Geometric
“We evaluated several solutions before we chose to adopt the VXI architecture from Cisco, NetApp, and Citrix to solve our virtualization needs. This solution allows our employees to work from anywhere, at any time, using any device of their choice, without affecting security or performance;
Rajesh Janey, President – NetApp India & SAARC
‘We are witnessing a rapid adoption of virtualization technologies across customers of all segments. The solution we have developed with Cisco and Citrix incorporates software, hardware and support into a unified offering that makes desktop virtualization easy to deploy, easy to support and easy to scale. NetApp solutions and virtualized storage technologies help customers maximize efficiency to change the economics of IT and flexibility to respond at the speed of business”.
Rajesh Rege, Sr. Vice President- Data Center, Cisco India & SAARC
“VXI expands the scope and offers a new, network-based approach to virtualization, which provides Geometric employees with greater choice and flexibility based on specific application needs and business requirements. The unique design spans Cisco's Data Center, Borderless Networks and Collaboration architectures enabling customers to deliver timely deployment of the latest services, applications and endpoint devices and a consistently productive user experience, with increased security and efficiency.”
Sanjay Deshmukh, Area Vice President, India, Citrix Systems Inc
"We believe Virtualization and cloud computing will offer Geometric a powerful set of tools to enhance agility and availability. It will bring in the much required efficiency and will deliver IT infrastructure, desktops and applications as a service. As a key player in the virtualization space we think that this collaboration will bring in fundamental changes in Geometric business productivity “
• Virtual Experience Infrastructure
• Read more about NetApp Desktop Virtualization Solutions: http://www.netapp.com/
• Follow NetApp on Twitter: www.Twitter.com/
• Join NetApp on Facebook: www.Facebook.com/
Headquartered in Mumbai, India, Geometric was incorporated in 1994 and is listed on the Bombay and National Stock Exchanges. The company recorded consolidated revenues of Rupees 6.21 billion (US Dollars 136.47 million) for the year ended March 2011. It employs over 3900 people across 10 global delivery locations in the US, Romania, India, and China. Geometric was assessed as CMMI 1.1 Level 5 for its software services and is ISO 9001:2008 certified for engineering operations. The company’s operations are also ISO 27001:2005 certified.
NetApp creates innovative storage and data management solutions that accelerate business breakthroughs and deliver outstanding cost efficiency. Discover NetApp’s passion for helping companies around the world go further, faster at www.netapp.com/
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/
Citrix Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ:CTXS)
Text 100: Jigyasa Uniyal
NetApp: Shalini Kaul
Cisco: Vishak Gopinath
Citrix: Sakshi Sharma
Geometric: Kavita Karnani