Winning a Gold Star for a product is given to “products that are close to perfect” and it was this that was awarded to Macbeth’s Venison Escallop, Venison Sausage, Beef Steak Burger, Rolled Beef Topside and Lamb Noisette. Jock Gibson, manager of the family owned business Macbeth’s said “The awards given to these products are pleasing on two accounts – the ones given to the sausages and burgers prove that we have good recipes and good ingredients, whilst the ones given to the “pure” products highlight the quality of the animal husbandry and quality. It is therefore testament to our own and other supplying farms”
7481 products were entered from 1600 companies for the 2011 Great Taste Awards. It took 350 experts 34 days to blind taste all the entries and decide which entries would achieve the coveted one, two and three star gold awards.
Macbeth’s Butchers is a small family run business rearing their own grass-fed Scottish native breeds with a reputation for quality. They are one of the few butchers who mature their beef on the bone for a minimum of 21 days. As well as running the retail shop in Forres and supplying restaurants UK wide, Macbeths offer a mail order service delivering fresh meat to private individuals across the UK. Along with their own beef they source the highest quality lamb, pork, venison and game from local suppliers such as Geddes Free Range and Loch Gorm Lamb.
• Edinvale Farms was started by the firm’s founders Michael and Susan Gibson in the 1970’s. Edinvale is situated between 500 and 800 feet above the Moray Firth in the Highlands of Scotland; originally it was stocked with a pedigree fold of Highland cattle for the show ring and pedigree market only. Today there are 500 cattle on nearly 1000 acres of upper Moray.
• Macbeth and Son started out life as a traditional high street butcher’s shop. In 1986, Michael and Susan Gibson bought the business to provide a direct outlet for the produce of their farm, Edinvale.
• Jock Gibson, Michael and Susan’s son returned in 2006 to run the business.
• The cattle are grass fed during summer months and only fed on silage or hay grown on their own farms in winter. They do not use compound feeds or growth promoters.
• Along with their Beef, they source everything locally and make a full range of products such as sausages, burgers and award winning black pudding and haggis.
• Along with the shop in Forres Jock’s aim is to develop the online side of the business.
• Their website http://www.macbeths.com offers a mail order service delivering fresh meat UK wide in 2-3 days. It has a Meat Mentor section which gives recipe ideas and meat advice. The website is regularly updated with Special Offers and the Coo’s News.
• For more info on the Awards see www.finefoodworld.co.uk
If you would like any more details, a blether with Jock, or a wee sample to taste Macbeths Beef then contact him on 01309 672254 or email@example.com
# # #
Online Scottish Retailer and supplier to top independent hotels and restaurants. We specialise in providing traditional scottish beef reared on our own farm and hung for a minimum of 21 days.