Modern Guitar Rigs covers topics of interest to guitarists looking to build pro-level rigs, whether they're playing clubs at the indie band level, getting set for a major tour, heading into the studio to record a new album, or just searching for “ultimate tone.”
"Guitar magazines routinely talk about commonly available guitars, amps, and effects, but they don't really cover the components that go into assembling a professional guitar rig,” explains Kahn. “After hearing the same questions come up repeatedly from so many guitar players, I found myself pondering, 'If only there were a book that really explained all this complex rig stuff,' and then I discovered that no such book existed."
Kahn, a technologist and accomplished guitar player, dissects complex guitar set-ups for multiple scenarios with an informal, relaxed style and calls attention to detail with bullet-point lists. Photos of the latest professional gear and actual rig examples of top guitarists add interest and application to the discussion.
Modern Guitar Rigs explores advanced topics including:
• Rack gear: multi-effects processors and dedicated signal processors, audio loopers, amp function switching systems, and MIDI foot controllers
• Amp setups: wet/dry/wet configurations, rack-mounted tube preamps and power amps, stereo rigs, integrating pedals and rack gear, and floor-based loop systems
• Guitar options: piezoelectric pickups and splitting guitar signals to multiple amps
• Effect loops: choosing the right loop for your specific needs
• Rig infrastructure:
• Rigs of the stars: a look at the complex rigs used by many leading guitar players, including John Petrucci of Dream Theater, Alex Lifeson of Rush, and Steven Wilson and John Wesley of Porcupine Tree
• Interviews with leading custom rig builders, including the legendary Bob Bradshaw of Custom Audio Electronics
For players looking to move beyond a simple pedal board and combo amp, there is no more definitive book on the topic of advanced guitar rigs than Modern Guitar Rigs. The book comes with a bonus DVD with more than an hour of video including “Building a Pro Guitar Rig”, “Setting Up Your First Small Rack”, “Taming The Pedalboard”, and a music video of the song “The Sky is Falling” by the progressive rock band Days Before Tomorrow, featuring Scott Kahn on guitar.
Modern Guitar Rigs
Hal Leonard Books
158 pages, 8.5” x 11”
Paperback with DVD
$24.99, ISBN 978-1-4234-9944-
# # #
About the Author:
Scott Kahn is a widely respected guitar and recording technologist and professional musician. As the editor in chief of MusicPlayers.com, the online magazine for serious musicians, he regularly evaluates and writes about the latest products being developed for professional guitar players and complex guitar rigs. Kahn is also known worldwide as one of the guitar players from the progressive rock band Days Before Tomorrow. He lives in Wyckoff, N.J.