The 7 day, 500 mile epic challenge to raise £2000 for Meningitis UK was the team’s first. Commenting on their endeavours Tom Hepworth, Epernay Leeds general manager said: “It was the most amazing experience and cycling into Epernay town bang on schedule to meet up with friends and family who were waiting for us was the perfect finish.
“We have talked about doing something like this for a long time and it looks like all the planning paid off. Apart from a couple of punctures and a broken spoke, the bikes performed well and we’ve all coped extremely well too with the long hours in the saddle – having lots of supporters following us and tracking our progress really kept us motivated when we were tired.”
Tom along with Adi Zaimi of Brio Pizza at Thorpe Park lead the team of cyclists and support crew from Leeds city centre down through the Midlands to Newhaven. They then caught the ferry to Dieppe before setting off again to Epernay, in North East France.
Leaving from Epernay in Great George Street, Leeds at 6.00am on Tuesday 28th June, the team, comprising friends and colleagues from the bar and restaurant, arrived in Epernay town just after 1.00pm on Monday 4th July.
Leeds-based vehicle tracking company Remote Asset Management (http://www.remoteassetmanagement.co.uk) generously donated its award winning technology to the team of ambitious fundraisers. Tom and Adi contacted RAM MD Chris McClellan to ask if he could help them maximise awareness of their marathon cycle ride.
“I am absolutely delighted for Tom and the team not only for completing their challenge but for meeting their fundraising target too,” commented Chris. “Our tracking technology is usually used for fleet vehicle management but it also enables supporters following charity activities such as this to feel really involved by being able to see exactly where the cyclists are on their route.
“We have had some fantastic feedback about the difference it makes, not only in terms of boosting the numbers of supporters but donations too – and after all that’s what it’s all about.”
RAM’s vehicle tracking system (http://www.remoteassetmanagement.co.uk)
Notes to Editors
• Meningitis UK has a single focus - to find a vaccine to protect against all forms of meningitis and associated diseases
• Every week, six families have to face the sudden tragedy of losing a loved one to this devastating disease
• Meningitis UK’s Search 4 a Vaccine campaign aims to raise £7million to help fund cutting-edge research to find a preventative vaccine and save thousands of lives in the future
• Champagne and cocktail bar, Epernay Leeds opened in 2005 and is situated at 12 Great George Street, Leeds
• Brio Pizza opened in May 2009 and is at 4600 Century Way, Thorpe Park Industrial Estate, Leeds.
# # #
Award-winning industry leader, Remote Asset Management has over 3,000 clients across the UK and has fitted more than 20,000 vehicle tracking devices since it was founded in 2004.