Firstly, through research carried out in the USA concerning attitudes towards technology Global City Radio learned that:
- 52% of Over 50s surveyed now regarded the Internet as their most important source of information;
- Online radio was now preferred to terrestrial am/fm stations because it delivered choice and a variety of programming that the Over 50s preferred. Only in the News and Politics category were the major broadcasters preferred;
- The Over 50s were not daunted by Email and Skype provided products were genuinely easy to use and well designed. Products that were full of jargon and assumed a certain amount of computing knowledge were ignored;
- The Over 50s preferred gold stations with real presenters, audio drama and lifestyle programmes, they were not impressed by computer generated playlists;
- Surprisingly, there was no particular dislike of advertising, however, the products advertised often were not relevant. However, successful advertisers found the over 50s to be a powerful demographic who were still investing in premium products during these straitened times. On the station the likes of the Glendorgal Hotel in Devon, The Cleve Hotel in the Cotswolds, T Mobile Orange and Plan B the International IT Consultancy have all benefitted from Online advertising and continue to invest strongly.
Arbitron and Edison Inc. completed the US survey revealing that there was now a staggering 43 million listeners to online radio, year on year stateside and the US has the lowest penetration of Internet to household ration of the developing countries.
Global City Radio has its technology based in Houston, Its Technical support out of Southampton England and its corporate headquarters in Oxford England. Its international presentation team are based in Canada, USA,UK, India, Argentina, Brazil and South Africa. On 1st June the station relaunched and rebranded. Taking all the research findings into account, the station divided into two channels. Global City Radio is a Gold Station in the mornings, a personality lead afternoon magazine variety mix show afternoon and evenings and out and out Dance show after midnight.
It is creating a new channel for talk shows and audio drama 'The Spoken World.net' - This launches on 14th June 2011.
The biggest change to the station has been in its programming and personnel in to the station have come speciality shows like The AM Show - a weekend Magazine hosted by Adrian Mills and Michael Groth former BBC TV stars now both in their 50s, Mike George with a Rockabilly show and american Bob Mathers with an Oldies Coundown. However, the biggest investment in 2011 is in the commissioning of a brand new shoe 'Magic of the Musicals' to be presented by Oxford based professional Soprano, Lesley Ann Knight. Lesley brings a show that includes opera, oratorio, theatre and musical comedy. Production values are further increased with a weekly in studio performance by Lesley and interviews with stars of stage and screen.
" This is exactly the type of radio, I want to listen to" said 70 year old, Yvonne Valentine of Oxford when quizzed by Global City. " Global City have got their web site and the downloadable players just right" said Liz Cokethorpe 56 of Kersal, Greater Manchester "I like the fact that the station plays immediately you get to the station and the site is uncluttered"
"What all the research has revealed is that Radio is far from dead, she just moved to a new home. Furthermore, the Over 50s are the best audience to target - they are usually slightly better off, like quality personality led shows but above all contrary to myth are happy to use technology provided it adds value to their lives. With shows like the Magic of the Musicals, we know we will continue to grow in popularity".
# # #
Global City Radio and The Spoken World.net are part of a small business group that includes MMi and Sugarjobs.com. The stations employ 60 staff and Global City Radio was formed in 2007 and changed its name on June 1st. It is the fastest growing radio station online.