1. Choose shoes that fit well and don’t slide on heels or cramp toes www.ActiveFootStore.com .
2. Check shoes regularly, before putting them on. Make sure there are no foreign objects in the shoe that could hurt your feet.
3. Never walk barefoot! Use water shoes that offer adequate protection while swimming.
4. Don’t cut your nails yourself if you have peripheral vascular disease or neurotherapy.
5. Don’t use heating pads on your feet or step into the bath without testing the water first, to avoid burning your feet.
6. Inspect feet in the morning and at night. Look for sores, crack, calluses, and red spots that can lead to ulcers.
7. Keep feet clean and dry. Even if you don’t shower daily, be sure to wash your feet with warm water every day. Remember to test the temperature with your hands first and dry your feet thoroughly with a soft towel making sure to get in between each toe.
8. Control your blood sugar. The best way to keep your feet healthy is to keep your whole body healthy,
9. Consider orthotics. A podiatrist can provide you with custom-fitted shoe inserts that will support your feet and control movement. If it is painful or even impossible to walk your foot doctor may recommend a special foot brace or orthopedic shoes.
10. Seek podiatric help for routine foot care such as nail cutting, heel pain, foot pain, ingrown toenails, and calluses. www.CoastPodiatryGroup.com
Medicare recognizes that preventive foot care for diabetics can significantly reduce the risk of complications. If you are a diabetic and covered by Medicare, you may be eligible to receive a pair of high quality shoes and innersoles at no cost to you. The Active Foot Store (www.ActiveFootstore.com)
In addition to shoes and orthotics, The Active Foot Store carries a full line of unique products that help provide relief of pain and promote foot health, as featured in the San Diego Union Tribune’s National Doctor’s Day issue. Dr. Jack A. Reingold, a local board-certified podiatric physician, handpicked all of the shoes and products in the store in order to ensure great quality. Everyone benefits from properly fitted comfortable shoes.