Garages and even garden sheds could be potential targets to thieves, warn security experts Secura-Cam.
Richard Joyce, managing director of Secura-Cam located in Mere View, Yaxley said: “It’s around this time of year when people start to think about enjoying the warmer weather either by going on cycle rides with the family, mowing the lawn or embarking on some DIY.
“The potential for thieves is great if measures aren’t taken to protect homes, gardens, sheds and their contents. Our basic advice would be to put as many obstacles as possible in the way for opportunist thieves.”
Top tips from Secura-Cam:
- Ensure that laptops, cameras or other sought-after equipment are hidden from view when you leave the house.
- Use suitable heavy duty locks on garages to protect their contents.
- Use locks to secure cycles inside an already locked garage.
- Visible security equipment makes thieves think again.
- Padlock garden gates or other perimeters around the home to make access more difficult but not forgetting about fire escapes if needed.
- Install warning devices where possible, including movement sensitive lighting or movement sensitive buzzers.
- Limit the storage of expensive garden equipment or tools in sheds, but if you are using them as storage, invest in a good close clasp padlock and black film on the windows works well,
- Put an outside light on at night or if you are going out for the evening.
- Use a timer to ensure a light comes on in the house at irregular times if you are on holiday.
- Above all, be vigilant.
Richard added: “Many of these suggestions don’t have to cost a fortune, but could save you from losing something valuable.”
Secura-Cam specialises in the installation and maintenance of security measures, including intruder alarms, CCTV and commercial security. For more details, call 01733 247007.
Note to editors
For more press information contact Cetti Long at Media Matters on (01733) 371363 or email: cetti@mediamatters-