Environmental Finance defines ‘voluntary carbon’ as carbon credits bought or sold to help organizations or individuals offset carbon emissions where they are not required by regulation to do so. This may be to help meet self-imposed emissions goals, or to gain experience ahead of carbon regulations – an important part of the voluntary carbon market in the Europe (world)?.
"South Pole Carbon is honored to receive this award from Environmental Finance,” said Christoph Suter, CEO of South Pole Carbon. "It is another sign of our continued growth and the quality of our service/project. We are the leading VER Gold Standard Project Developer and to continue its recent explosive growth, the voluntary carbon market must decisively address the significant persistent challenges of credibility, fragmentation, and overlap with the mandatory carbon emissions market, and emerging standards for project development and verification are a positive sign that the voluntary market is ready to take the next step in its maturation and development.”
The results were published in the February 2011 issue of Environmental Finance.
website at www.environmental-
For further information, please contact:
Marketing Manager, Corporate Communications
South Pole Carbon
Tel: +41 43 501 35 58
About South Pole's Environmental Registry
South Pole's 's Registry is a pre-eminent environmental markets infrastructure provider. As the global trend in managing environmental assets moves towards price-based mechanisms, a robust registry is an essential tool to provide transparency and credibility.
For more information, see www.southpolecarbon.com
About the Voluntary Carbon Standard
The VCS Program provides a robust, new global standard and program for approval of credible voluntary offsets.
VCS offsets must be real (have happened), additional (beyond business-as-
• Standardize and provide transparency and credibility to the voluntary offset market.
• Enhance business, consumer and government confidence in voluntary offsets.
• Create a trusted and tradable voluntary offset credit; the Voluntary Carbon Unit. (VCU)
• Stimulate additional investments in emissions reductions and low carbon solutions
• Experiment and stimulate innovation in emission reduction technologies and offer lessons that can be build into future regulation.
• Provide a clear chain of ownership over voluntary offsets that prevents them being used twice. This is achieved through multiple VCS registries and a central project database that is open to the public.
For more information please visit: www.v-c-s.org
# # #
About South Pole Carbon:
A Global Carbon Company South Pole Carbon is an international company that specializes in reducing greenhouse gases and developing carbon strategies. In 2011, the company was named Best Project Developer in Environmental Finance's Voluntary Carbon Market Survey. With nine offices around the globe and operations in over 20 countries, the company enables the implementation and operation of high-quality emission reduction projects that address climate change and sustainable development. South Pole's portfolio includes, among others, projects that center on renewable energy, forestry, energy efficiency, waste management and methane avoidance.