News on Pharmacy Robbery for Oxycontin
A growing number of pharmacies in the United States and Canada have been targeted by robbers as a way to get a large volume of OxyContin. It has prompted many pharmacies to install bullet proof barriers between the pharmacists and the public. These robberies depict an alarming trend that shows the lengths to which Oxycontin addicts will go to get their fix.
• In April of 2010 a man in Fresno California was arrested for 6 successful and four failed robberies of pharmacies. He had obtained thousands of OxyContin pills.
• March 11, 2011; Channel 15 News in Madison Wisconsin reported that several recent pharmacy robberies had occurred, all involved OxyContin demands.
• March 11, 2011; The Statesville NC police responded to a robbery of a local CVS pharmacy. The clerk handed over every Oxycontin in stock to the robber.
• Calgary area, Canada: In November of 2009, a man was arrested who had robbed 10 pharmacies in the span of one month. In each robbery, he demanded Oxycontin (CBC-Nov 2, 2009)
• Jan 11, 2011 Canada; The Province paper online reported that in a string of robberies, guns had been produced, employees had been beaten, and the robbers demanded OxyContin.
Pharmacy Robbery for OxyContin and Addiction
Canada is considering new laws, which will track all prescriptions for OxyContin, including those through private health care. The public outcry in the United States is demanding that stricter laws be applied to OxyContin availability. Addicts are getting desperate. Once, Oxy addicts could doctor shop and continue going to different doctors to obtain Oxycontin. Computer link-up is putting an end to that, so more addicts went to the streets for Oxy, but it can cost upwards of $25 a pill. No longer satisfied with short term fixes, addicts are going for the gold.
Of course, dealers are also a part of the recent increase in pharmacy robbery for Oxycontin, but many are addicts who are tired of getting a few pills at a time, only to suffer withdrawal looking for their next fix.
This is one of the reasons why Narconon Trois-Rivieres endeavors to significantly reduce the amount OxyContin and painkillers addicts with the help of their very successful drug addiction recovery program.
# # #
Narconon Trois-Rivières specializes in residential drug and alcohol rehabilitation and detoxification. Our organization also promotes drug education and awareness throughout our community, and province.