Jane Palikira, co-founder, Ionian Weddings, says: “When Mamma Mia! was released, there was a huge surge in interest for weddings in Greece and today we still see many couples inspired by the film wanting to get married there. The romance of exchanging vows in a film location, combined with the much lower cost of weddings in Greece or Cyprus compared with the UK – plus, of course, better weather - makes our Greek island destinations the perfect option for a magical day.”
See below for a few suggestions:
Kefalonia, Captain Corelli’s Mandolin – Director John Madden thought nowhere else in the world could replicate the beauty of Kefalonia, where the book is set, and was adamant that the film be shot entirely on the island. Visit Antisami, where Pelagia’s village was built from scratch; get married on Myrtos beach, arguably the most beautiful in Greece, or, exclusively for Ionian Weddings’ couples only, tie the knot outside the unique 1627-built Assos chapel.
Amorgos, Big Blue - Luc Besson chose this picturesque island to film the principal scenes of Big Blue and it’s easy to see why – deep blue waters, dramatic rocky beaches, silky sands and imposing cliffs set a naturally beautiful scene; perfect for your dream wedding. With Ionian Weddings, transfer by speedboat from Santorini to Amorgos, exchange vows on the beach and hold your reception overlooking the gorgeous Aegean horizon.
Skiathos, Mamma Mia! - Located just six miles from the mainland, this lush island is covered in pine forests and boasts 70 sandy beaches. Get married on the small Bourtzi peninsula offering spectacular views and where the Mamma Mia! crew rested under the pine trees in between sets; you can even take a boat-ride in a traditional kaiki boat, similar to the one used by Colin Firth and Pierce Brosnan in the film.
Mykonos, Shirley Valentine – Ionian Weddings can organise a ceremony in the Manoula Beach Hotel, where much of Shirley Valentine was filmed, or in a traditional windmill in cosmopolitan Little Venice, or on the harbour front in the charming town of Chora, plus many more locations.*
Corfu, For Your Eyes Only – Achilleion Palace was used for the casino scenes in this Roger Moore classic and the famous beach buggy sequence was filmed on St George’s Beach. Car chases took place on the sea-front, near the old Venetian Fort just outside historic Corfu Town; this UNESCO-protected part of Corfu oozes colonial style, neo-classical architecture and Venetian elegance.
Santorini, Lara Croft Tomb Raider; The Cradle of Life – the sleepy village of Oia on this chic island provided the location for some of the scenes in this film. In addition to clusters of little whitewashed houses, Santorini offers magnificent sunsets, volcanic rock formations, white sands and sparkling waters, making it a wonderfully chic location to tie the knot. Let Ionian Weddings organise a sunset caldera wedding, private beach wedding or a ceremony in a traditional winery.
For couples considering a Greek island or Cyprus wedding, Ionian Weddings offers a two-hour consultation meeting for a small fee which is fully refundable if the couple makes a booking. Additional services include assistance with booking accommodation for the wedding party and a full documentation service.
For more information, visit Ionian Weddings at www.ionianweddings.co.uk or call the experienced weddings team on 020 8892 7556.
* It is a legal requirement in Mykonos for couples to marry in the town hall – if preferred, this can be a speedy process just for the couple, before holding a ceremony in a chosen venue for the full wedding party.
2 MARCH 2011
Notes to editors:
1. Ionian Weddings was founded in March 2007 by Greek-born Andreas Palikiras and his English wife, Jane, who between them have over 15 years’ experience in the travel industry.
2. Ionian Weddings’ services include arrangements for a ceremony, completion of all legal paperwork, flowers, photographer, bridal car, reception and music. Wedding co-ordination packages can start from as little as £1,500; this compares very favourably with the average cost of a wedding day in the UK, which is in the region of £20,000.
3. To date, Ionian Weddings has arranged over 300 weddings in the Greek Islands and Cyprus.
4. Anglican, Baptist, Catholic, Civil, Greek Orthodox, Jewish and Protestant weddings can be arranged.
5. Client testimonials can be found here: http://www.ionianweddings.co.uk/
6. Images and case studies are available on request.
Media Enquiries: For further information on Ionian Weddings or to interview the founder directors, please contact Mika Bishop or Julia Farish at Travel PR on 020 8891 4440 or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
# # #
Travel PR is one of the leading travel PR agencies in the UK with over 30 clients covering trade associations, hotels, tour operators and tourist boards.