A cave-like brick reservoir was built into the hillside to contain the three springs at the source and pipes were laid to carry the water as far as Hancock Street, about two miles away. The springs were the primary water source for the City of Peoria for approximately 15 years.
Recently Peoria Mineral Springs suffered significant damage to it's over-flow system. This caused the water table to rise substantially and one of the entrance walls to collapse.
We are currently seeking to form a not for profit corporation called the PMS FOUNDATION, to obtain professional and financial help and revive the springs functionality. Working with City of Peoria, the Peoria historical community leaders and volunteers, our goal is to restore Peoria Mineral Springs as a historic site, rich in history and importance, to be preserved for posterity.
Contact: Charles Traynor Jr.
# # #
When the last glaciers left the Peoria valley some 14,000 years ago, leaving free-flowing springs from the west bluff. The largest one was owned by Zealy Moss American revolutionary war veteran, later William moss, and finally Lyda Moss Bradley, founder of Bradley University.
In 1843 a company was Incorporated, a charter was draw-up. A reservoir built to contain some of the free-flowing water. Thus becoming Peoria's first water company. It provided natural spring water down to Hancock Street. Peoria's population increased to the point that the spring could no longer support the demand.
These businesses went on for many years. Then the spring lay dormant until the Traynor family purchased it and gave it new vitality. In 1976 the Family opened the Spring to the public as a Bicentennial event. Later it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places and still claims that status.