Not only is this one-of-a-kind event one of the most difficult marathons in the United States, but it’s also one of the most beautiful. Starting on historic Whiskey Row, the race begins at an elevation of 5,280 feet and increases to 7,000 feet over the first seven miles, at the 13-mile turn around, runners are once again at 5,600 feet. The course is paved road for the first and last 5 miles, while the rest of the race is run on a dirt road that meanders through the cool pines of the Prescott National Forest.
In addition to the full marathon (26.2 miles), the YMCA Whiskey Row Marathon includes a half marathon (13.1 miles), 10k (6.2 miles) and a 2-mile Fun Run.
To make this a full weekend of fun and fitness, this year’s marathon also includes a variety of events, such as:
• Packet pick-up and Sports Expo at the Prescott YMCA, 3 p.m.-8 p.m.
• Pasta Dinner (carbo-loading)
SATURDAY MORNING: THE RACE
• Saturday morning packet pick-up at Hotel St. Michael from 5 a.m.-7:15 a.m.
• Full Marathon Start 6 a.m.
• Half Marathon Start 7 a.m.
• 10K Start 7:30am
• 2 Mile Fun Run 7:40 a.m.
• Concert (bands TBA) on the Courthouse Square from 11:30 a.m.-7 p.m.
• Whiskey Row Marathon Top Finisher Awards 5:30 p.m. at the Courthouse Square
• Raffle drawing for top prize: 1970 Camaro 454 Super Sport at 6 p.m.
• After Party & Beer Garden sponsored by the Prescott Eagles Club from noon-7 p.m.
This community event would not be possible if it were not for our generous sponsors and volunteers.
For more information about running the race or volunteering to help at the water stations, registration, finish line, and course set-up and clean up, visit http://www.whiskeyrowmarathon.com/
# # #
About the Prescott YMCA
The Prescott Young Men’s Christian Association of Yavapai County, Inc. (YMCA) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, community-focused organization dedicated to putting Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.
The Prescott YMCA offers a variety of activities including: preschool, after school childcare, summer day camps, sports, recreation, gymnastics, weight training, water and land fitness classes, wellness seminars, aquatics, and more.
The YMCA is supported by memberships, program fees and public and private contributions. As a membership organization, the YMCA is open to everyone regardless of their ability to pay. An extensive scholarship program ensures access to kids and families who could not otherwise afford the benefits of the YMCA.
For additional information about the Prescott YMCA, visit http://www.prescottymca.org/