impressive Cupola, visible even from the suburbs.
In the 15th century Santa Maria del Fiore was the biggest church in Europe,
today is the third, after St Paul's in London and Saint Peter in Rome.
The church was built on the early Christian church that you can see in the crypt,
the Cathedral today is the result of different projects of famous architects like Arnolfo, Giotto and Talenti.
The Cupola was projected and realized by Brunelleschi between 1420 and 1436,
it is important to remind that the project was totally innovative and it was tested for the first time on this occasion.
Inside the Cupola there are some Vasari's frescoes made around 1572-1579,
the tower instead, was built around 1334 by the architect Giotto, and after his death, Andrea Pisano finished the project.
The exterior statues are copies: the originals can be found in the Museum of the Works of the Cathedral.
The Baptistery is the oldest building in the square. It is an important example of Tuscan Romanesque building,
made with white marble of Carrara and green marble of Prato.