In her new book, Emily Brand explores British royal weddings from 1066 to the present (http://www.shirebooks.co.uk/
• Kate Middleton & Prince William’s wedding will be the 39th royal wedding held in Westminster Abbey.
• Most Royal Weddings before the 20th Century were private affairs.
• Queen Victoria’s children and grandchildren married into almost every royal family in Europe.
• The wedding ring of Mary of Modena, the second wife of James II (1674) was crafted of gold and rubies by an Italian designer.
• In the 15th century, royal wedding ceremonies were followed by dancing and music, sometimes by a troupe of minstrels accompanied by a harp.
• Whenever possible, royal brides-to-be from foreign countries settled in England and became property of their adoptive nation.
• It was at the wedding of the Duke of Kent to Princess Marina of Greece that in 1934 that Queen Elizabeth laid eyes on Prince Philip. She wore Norman Hartwell at her wedding!
Royal Weddings will be published on March 22nd in the U.S., Canada, and the U.K. Kate Middleton and Prince William will be married on April 29th in London. Over one billion people are expected to tune in for the nuptials, which has been declared a national holiday in Great Britain.
# # #
Shire Publications was founded in 1962 by John Rotheroe. The company was purchased by Osprey Group in 2007. Shire’s backlist of over 1,000 titles explores the history and heritage of Great British and it publishes 75 new books each year..