PRLog - Feb. 1, 2011 - PEORIA, Ariz. -- In January, fire crews from Tempe, Arizona responded to a call regarding a forklift driver at a manufacturing plant who was suffering from chest pains. Upon arriving at the factory emergency personnel discovered the employee had not suffered a heart attack, but instead had been exposed to dangers levels of carbon monoxide (CO).
The carbon monoxide came from two forklifts that were left running without adequate area ventilation. Tempe firefighters recorded carbon monoxide levels of 190 parts per million, far above the 30 parts per million threshold they use to determine if breathing apparatus is necessary before entering a building.
According to the U.S. Environmental Protection agency (EPA), “Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and toxic gas. Because it is impossible to see, taste or smell the toxic fumes, CO can kill you before you detect its presence. At lower levels of exposure, CO causes mild effects that are often mistaken for the flu. These symptoms include headaches, dizziness, disorientation, nausea and fatigue. The effects of CO exposure can vary greatly from person to person depending on age, overall health and the concentration and length of exposure.”
Clark Seif Clark, a leading provider of indoor air quality (IAQ) and environmental testing services, has been called upon by industry for years to monitor air quality to protect workers. “Carbon monoxide poisoning is a real threat in both work environments and in people’s homes.” reported Derrick A. Denis, V.P. Indoor Environmental Quality at CSC. “Anything that burns fuel has an exhaust, and that exhaust often contains carbon monoxide. Sources of carbon monoxide are all around us from fireplaces and gas water heaters to vehicles and portable gas space heaters. In industrial settings, carbon monoxide direct reading instruments and employee exposure monitoring helps determine OSHA compliance. In residential settings, carbon monoxide alarms and periodic homeowner inspections can help prevent CO catastrophes. Thorough assessment by an IAQ professional or industrial hygienist is often warranted to identify potential CO sources and to suggest control options in order to avoid tragic CO poisonings.”
To learn more about carbon monoxide and detecting dangerous gases or how CSC can help with IAQ, mold and other environmental issues please visit http://www.csceng.com, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (800) 807-1118.
# # #
About Clark Seif Clark (CSC)
CSC was established in 1989 to help clients in both the public and private sectors address environmental issues. CSC is a leading provider of these services with multiple offices along the western seaboard and southwest. The company believes in science-based protocols and has a strong background in engineering, making them the preferred environmental consultants to healthcare facilities, architects, schools, builders, contractors, developers and real estate professionals.