“Not surprisingly, with the country’s economic downturn, two out of three participating employers stated in that the economy is the most important issue elected officials should pay attention to,” said Gary Earl, president and chief executive officer of WORKFORCE CENTRAL FLORIDA. “More than a quarter of the employers also ranked health care price/accessibility and education as top issues.”
Other key findings included:
• The majority (57 percent) of employers indicated that they believe the business environment is headed in the right direction.
• Employers identified the lack of employment opportunities and support by government as key reasons the business environment is headed in the wrong direction.
• The key turning points or trends that will convince employers that Central Florida’s economy is back on track include an unemployment rate decrease of three percent from the current level, more than a five percent increase in their company’s revenue, and a solid plan for a reduction in the national deficit that is supported by both sides in Congress.
• Employers indicated that the top three new and emerging industries are sustainable and renewable energy, biotechnology and wireless technology.
The State of the Workforce Report is designed to provide direction for decisions not just for WORKFORCE CENTRAL FLORIDA but also for the region’s economic development, educational and workforce-related organizations.
During the fall of 2010, more than 260 Central Florida employers representing various industries in the five Central Florida counties of Lake, Orange, Osceola, Seminole, and Sumter were surveyed in order to assess workforce development needs – current and long term including soft skills, basic skills and occupation specific skills. The key issues addressed in this year’s survey include:
• Central Florida’s Business Environment
• Education and Training Opportunities
• Workforce Needs
• General Statistical Business Information
For the complete report, visit http://www.WorkforceCentralFlorida.com/
# # #
WORKFORCE CENTRAL FLORIDA is the Orlando area's workforce expert, an authority on workforce planning, programs and the labor market for the Florida counties of Lake, Orange, Osceola, Seminole and Sumter counties.