Pet cancer affects pets at the same rate as human cancer affects humans. Treatment for pet cancer is also similar; with surgery, chemotherapy and radiation as primary sources of treatment. The cost of these treatments are high; and having paid over $1.2 million for almost 3,000 cancer related claims in 2010, Petsecure pet insurance is all too familiar with the emotional and financial toll it can take on a family. For this reason, Petsecure pet insurance is proud to be donating to the OVC Pet Trust Fund to help find a cure.
In 2009, Petsecure pet insurance donated over $1,400 to the OVC Pet Trust Fund towards cancer research, from their ‘FURther the Fight’ campaign. “This year, we’re hoping to see more success and an even larger donation to the OCV Pet Trust Fund in hopes of getting one step closer to finding a cure.”, says Randy Valpy, President & CEO of Petsecure pet insurance. “As Canada’s leading pet insurance company, it’s our role to educate and raise awareness around conditions such as pet cancer. It’s an illness that affects thousands of pets and just as we support fundraisers for human cancer, we can’t forget about our pets. That’s why we hope to see our Facebook and Twitter fans act as ambassadors in joining us in this fight against pet cancer, by helping us spread the word.”
Pet Cancer Facts:
1. Cancer accounts for nearly 50% of all disease-related pet deaths each year.
2. Cancer is the #1 natural cause of death in older pets.
3. Dogs get cancer at roughly the same rate as humans.
4. One in four dogs dies of cancer.
5. Over 50% of the dogs over age 10 will die of cancer.
6. Just like in humans, cancer can occur in virtually any part of your dog's body.
7. Approximately 1 in 4 dogs develops a tumor of some kind during his lifetime.
8. The cause of cancer in pets, just like people, is largely unknown.
9. Common risks of obesity in pets include many forms of cancer.
Source: Blue Buffalo- Pet Cancer Awareness
# # #
About Petsecure pet health insurance:
Petsecure pet insurance, the core brand of Western Financial Insurance Company, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Western Financial Group (TSX: WES). Petsecure is Canada’s oldest and largest pet insurance provider with over 20 years of offering innovative pet insurance to Canadian pet parents. Petsecure has 2 unique pet insurance options to choose from; Petset which offers basic, value-priced coverage or Secure For Life™ which offers the most comprehensive coverage in Canada. Petsecure also offers dental coverage and special coverage including alternative treatments, behavioural therapy and medical devices. Petsecure is the only pet health insurance provider in Canada to offer their exclusive Secure For Life™ guarantee.