Contact: Dr. Carrell Chadwell at (214) 755-3600 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
With the job market improving, author and career expert advises job seekers to plan ahead
Unemployment figures released last week by the Department of Labor are encouraging, says psychologist and career expert Carrell Chadwell. They show a drop in unemployment in September in 23 states.
“Many people have stayed in jobs they don’t like, because of fear they will not be able to find anything better,” said Chadwell, author of the new book, “Changing Careers in a Changing World” "Even if the unemployment picture still isn't rosy, there are signs that the job market is improving. Now is the time to start taking the steps to securing the job you really want to have.”
Texas continued to trend well below the U.S. unemployment rate, posting 8.1 percent in September, compared to 9.6 percent nationwide. During the first seven months of 2010, Texas enjoyed a job growth rate that is more than three times the national average.
Chadwell offers these tips for repositioning for a more fulfilling job:
• Analyze past jobs to identify your likes and dislikes, as well as your strengths. Use the information to build criteria for what's needed in the next job to fit your interests, strengths and values.
• Use the Guide to Occupational Exploration, the Dictionary of Occupational Titles and the Occupational Outlook Handbook to research and identify careers and jobs fitting the criteria.
• If necessary, improve job qualifications for the target job by seeking additional training, education or volunteer opportunities.
• If a significant career change is planned, use a functional resume to showcase specific qualifications for the new target job. If there's an interview, be prepared to share examples of when skills for the job were used.
• Begin networking now, via Linked-In, Twitter, professional associations, and job search groups.
“Don’t wait until the employment situation stabilizes,”
Carrell Chadwell is the author of “Changing Careers in a Changing World,” a step-by-step guide for analyzing your unique strengths, values and needs to find the career that’s right for you. Her book is available on her website, www.drchadwell.com, and at amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, and other distributors.
# # #
"Changing Careers in a Changing World" is a step-by-step guide and workbook that will help you to assess what you need in a job, identify jobs that will give you what you need, and prepare yourself to compete successfully for those jobs