- In a study that will be published in 2010, it was discovered by a Russian biologist that feeding hamsters GMO soy results in an inability to reproduce by the third generation of pups. And in the GMO soy group, five times as many pups died after birth.
- From the International Journal of Biological Sciences, a study found that Monsanto’s GMO corn is toxic and resulted in liver and kidney failure in animals.
- Aside from GMO soy, regular soy contains phytoestrogens (plant estrogens) that have been found to promote breast cancer growth in animals. In addition, a study of Japanese men showed a positive correlation between brain atrophy (shrinkage) and their consumption of tofu.
- The soy fermentation process that results in foods like miso, tempeh, natto, and soy/tamari sauce, can reduce soy’s harmful properties. As long as they're organic and not GMO.
Here are some tips for avoiding GMO foods:
- Look for products labeled “100% Organic”. 70% organic may contain 30% GMO sources.
- The “Big Four” most common GMO crops to avoid are corn (flour, oil, syrup), soy (flour, lecithin, protein isolate), canola (oil) and cotton (cottonseed oil).
- Organic dairy products are the only ones that don’t contain rbGH; the genetically engineered growth hormone given to cows.
- Look for wild rather than farmed fish to avoid fish raised on genetically modified feed, and seek out meat from 100% grass-fed animals. Boca or Garden burgers may contain GMO soy, unless the label specifically says “Organic”.
- Frozen foods and canned foods are highly processed. Keep an eye out for the “Big Four” and read all ingredients carefully. Campbell and Hormel may contain GMOs.
- Very few fruits and vegetables in the U.S. are GMO. The only known commercialized GMO fruit is papaya from Hawaii. 50% of their papayas are GMO.
For more information on the latest nutritional advice and chiropractic care, visit http://www.ThorburnChiropractic.com or call Thorburn Chiropractic and Wellness Center in Burbank, CA at (818) 841-1313.
# # #
Dr. Charlene Thorburn is a chiropractor and a registered nurse. Her experience in the medical model, as well as intensive studies in chiropractic and nutrition, make her approach very broad and unique. She has served Burbank CA and beyond for 25 years.