PRLog - May 6, 2010 - BOISE, Idaho -- 227's Boise Racism at El-Ada Community Action Partnership?
227's YouTube BOISE Racism! EL-ADA Community Action Partnership of Idaho?
I, Jamaal Al-Din, African-American, owner of Jamaal Al-Din's Hoops 227 (227's YouTube Chili'-NBA Mix) heard about a program at the El-Ada Community Action Partnership, in Boise, Idaho, which helps Boise citizens get on their feet, and decided to pursue the opportunity this morning at the Boise (El-Ada Community Action Partnership)
Last week, a friend of mine informed me that there is a program ran by El-Ada, which provides free housing for up to 6 months. I thought to myself, wow, I wonder why I haven't seen any ads posted at any of the homeless shelter facilities in Boise. After my friend explained that Monday mornings (at 9 A.M.) people are required to be present at El-Ada for a sign-up process to be interviewed, etc. (he even stated it's good to be about 20-25 minutes early because of a possible line of people), I agreed that I'd be there.
Several days later, I ran into my friend again at the Public Library where he informed me that the person who runs the program said the requirements have changed, and now, you must simply call in at 9:00 A.M..
Today, Monday at about 8:42 A.M. I showed up, in person, at El-Ada because I wanted to make sure I had an opportunity for the interview process, and find out the exact details. The 1st time, I entered the building (El-Ada Community Action Partnership of Idaho), this morning, I simply asked the basic information of the housing program, and I got a response from a younger female (19-23 yrs. old) and then a younger gentleman (19-25 yrs. old) at the front desk. The information my friend gave me was correct.
With this said, it was the "way" the front desk people gave me the information, which concerned me. I mean, it just didn't sit well (similiar to how you feel when your eyes are bigger than your stomach during a 'Fried Chicken' meal, and the meal doesn't "SIT" well after you eat it)!
Feeling uneasy as I walked to my truck, I turned my cell phone on, of which (thank God, I activated a business line about 1 month ago with a recorder)! Yep, you guessed it, I decided to go back for further information from possibly a more reliable source, like the Director, etc., of El-Ada Community Action Partnership.
With my cell phone recorder activated, about 5-6 minutes of detail was given by a female named Dalynn Kuster (Multi-Programs Manager), including - keep in mind, all recorded:
1) The requirement - YOU MUST CALL AT 9:00 A.M.
2) Call in time of 9:00 was given to me by Dalynn Kuster (Multi-Programs Manager), after she called the front desk guy (19-25 yrs. old) to the back office, after she stood in a nearby room (about 15-20 feet away) and heard him inform me, that last week and several times prior, he'd sometimes, personally, taken calls at 8:57 or 8:58 A.M.
3) Dalynn Kuster (Multi-Programs Manager), then came to the front desk and informed me, that they'd changed the policy, and now simply a call needs to be made by all perspective clients of the El-Ada Community Action Partnership - Housing Program at 9 A.M. (the time was 8:56 A.M.).
4) I left (8:56 A.M. - only 4 minutes before the required time to call). I drove past a nearby McDonald's on Vista Ave. and noticed, hey it's bout' that time (8:57 A.M.)! I appropriately, pulled over to a local Rite Aid parking lot, across the street from McDonald's and dialed El-Ada Community Action Partnership of Idaho (8:59 A.M.). Guess what...BUSY SIGNAL! I tried calling roughly 5-6 times, each time getting a BUSY SIGNAL (YEAH, THE THOUGHT IS, BEING PUT "ON HOLD" WOULD BE A MUCH BETTER SITUATION FOR HOMELESS PEOPLE LOOKING FOR ASSISTANCE FROM A PROGRAM OFFERED EXCLUSIVELY ON MONDAYS. YEAH, MY THOUGHT PRECISELY)!
5) I drove back to El-Ada Community Action Partnership of Idaho and gave information to Dalynn Kuster (Multi-Programs Manager), detailing my 5-6 previously attempted calls and BUSY SIGNALS. Daelyn (all recorded) amazingly informed me that..."Yeah, clients are being put ON HOLD!"
6) I thought to myself...NOT!
7) I politely informed Dalynn, I'd leave and simply continue calling.
8) Daelyn kindly offered..."well, you're welcomed to have a seat and continue trying to call."
9) I sat down, and no later than 35-40 seconds later, Dalynn was at the front desk with my scheduled appointment listed on a sheet of paper, for Thursday (Thank God...amazing)!
Thankfully, I now, have a scheduled appointment!
The El-Ada Community Action Partnership of Idaho's website lists its Mission Statement & Vision which includes:
"Community Action changes people's lives, embodies the spirit of hope, improves communities, and makes America a better place to live. We care about the entire community, and we are dedicated to helping people help themselves and each other."....NOT!
*** But, what if I was too poor to have a cell phone (with a recorder), or car?
*** But, what if I didn't get a 'shady' feeling in my stomach ('INTUITION')
*** But, what if I chose not to drive back to El-Ada after I'd called 5-6 times and got BUSY SIGNALS AT 9:00 A.M.?
*** But, what if I was a single African-American mother without a vehicle or cell phone (I guess I'd have to PUT THE BABY IN A STROLLER & USE MY LAST $.50 at a nearby neighbor, McDonald's, or convienent store payphone, for 5-6 calls and BUSY SIGNALS, THEN STROLL MY BABY HOME (because the baby has a cough and hungry), AND WAIT TILL NEXT WEEK!
What is going on in Boise, Idaho?
# # #
Jamaal Al-Din's Hoops 227-everything basketball website in Boise, ID features YouTube NBA, YouTube JORDAN, YouTube "MAGIC" JOHNSON, KOBE, LEBRON, D-WADE , MELO, KG, DWIGHT HOWARD, DERRICK ROSE, SHAQ & videos of the world's most exciting players.