PRLog - April 19, 2010 - LARGO, Fla. -- "Many dishwasher service calls can be avoided by NOT following the instruction manual" says Delayne Hiott, Founder and President of BBB accredited, A+ rated, Top Cat Appliance Repair in Largo Florida. http://topcatappliance.com
same day appliance repair service Tampa Bay Florida
"Most every manual gives bad information on the amount of soap to use in dishwashers."
We all know the routine. We fill both detergent cups to the top, close and lock the door, and come back an hour or two later to see spots and water marks on the supposedly clean dishes and glasses. Well, after performing over 63,000 appliance repairs since 1993, I've got a theory! In my opinion, the dishwasher and dishwasher detergent manufacturers are in cahoots to get you to use 2-3 times the amount of soap. This daily habit of overfilling the soap dispensers and using too much soap, coats the inside of your dishwasher's walls, the pump, impeller, strainer screen, as well as inside the drain hose, leading you down the road to expensive appliance repair service calls and early replacement of the dish washer. Open your dishwasher and run your hand across the inside walls. Is your hand now covered with white residue? Ah ha! That's soap scum, just as they had planned!"
"Now you may think they would never have you perform a daily task that destroys your dishwasher twice as fast. Why would they? Ask yourself this question...Would they rather sell you a new dishwasher every 6-9 years or every 12-15 years?
Don't believe me? No problem, I've got proof! Have you ever read a shampoo bottle? Lather, rinse, repeat. WHY? You've just washed your hair, it's clean. Why wash it twice? I'm thinking it's to get you to use twice as much shampoo! Now you're catching on!"
For some of you, this is going to hurt. Ready? NEVER buy the all in one type cube detergent! I've personally seen this little bugger get caught under the float located in the front bottom floor of your dishwasher, just below the door, maybe 30-40 times over my appliance repair career. This evil little packet gets caught underneath the safety float, designed to stop the water from overflowing in an emergency, and wham, you're calling for appliance repair service because the power to your dishwasher's motor is cut off by the "kill switch"! Yes, I know you just loved those easy to use packets...I'm sorry, they have to GO!
So you want the real low-down on using a dishwasher properly? Here goes!
1. Load your dishwasher properly, trying not to cover smaller items with larger items.
2. Only fill the very small detergent cup with a quality dishwashing soap, powder or liquid let the larger cup stay empty.
3. Before starting the wash cycle, run hot water in the sink until fully HOT, otherwise you start the cycle with warm water. The major brands like Whirlpool, GE, Kenmore, Frigidaire and most others recommend water temps between 125 f - 145 f I would set the water heater at a safe 125 f to prevent scalding of little ones in the household that could get burned! It's much better to have spotty dishes that to risk injury!
4. I recommend using Jet Dri, but not the liquid. I like the type that looks like chalk in a little bird cage. This stuff is basically like car wax for dishes, and the water beads off like on your car. The built in dispensers designed for this purpose commonly leak within the inner walls and you never know how much is used per wash any way.
5. At least once a year use a dishwasher cleaner like Glisten or citric acid crystals, sold at most appliance parts stores.
If you all ready have a decent build-up of soap, lime, hard water or other stains, this should help. If it's really dirty inside and or smelly, I've also used 1 cup of vinegar and 1 cup of bleach at the start of the longer wash. Let run for a few minutes then let sit an hour before restarting, and completing the full cycle.
If you're handy, you can sometimes remove the strainer screen to clean it in the sink and remove any debris that are in the pump. Take note- they break rather easily, and watch out for broken glass! Use this method for two weeks, and you should get better results from now on! Now go wash yourself some dishes:)
If in the Tampa Bay Area, Top Cat Appliance repair services most brands of refrigerators, washers, dryers, dishwashers, ovens, freezers, garbage disposals, microwavwaves, and water heaters, including Admiral / Amana / Americana / Brown / Caloric / Capri / Cold Spot / Coldspot / Crosley / Estate / Electrolux / Frigidaire / General Electric / GE / Gibson / Hot Point / Hotpoint / Inglis / Sears Kenmore / Sears Coldspot / Insinkerator / Jenn-Air / Jenn Air / Jennair / Kelvinator / Kenmore / Kitchen Aid / Kitchenaid / Kitchen aide / Kitchenaide / Majic Chef / Maytag / Monogram / Montgomery Ward / Neptune / Norge / Panasonic / Performa / Philco / RCA / Roper / Roper by Whirlpool / Scottsman / Scotsman / Sharp / Sears / Speed Queen / Signature 2000 / Sub Zero / Subzero / Sub 0 / Tappan / Uline / U-Line / U line / Wards / White Westinghouse / Whitewestinghouse / Westinghouse / Whirlpool & most others
# # #
Top Cat Appliance Repair, provides BBB Accredited, A+ rated 2 HOUR Appliance Repair services in the Tampa Bay, Florida area including Tampa, Clearwater, St Petersburg, Largo, etc. Appliances include Your Refrigerator, Freezer, Washer, Dryer, Dishwasher, Stove, Oven, Disposal...