B.F. Environmental Consultants Inc. wanted to notify the Community that is it "Groundwater Awareness Week". The National Groundwater Water Association annually promotes Ground Water Awareness Week. "The NGWA is urging every household well owner to check his or her well cap to make sure it is in good condition to protect the water supply from contamination"
During this week, please remember the following:
1. Pennsylvania is blessed with abundant water resources, but if the quality drops below 99.5 % pure the water may not be drinkable;
2. Our groundwater resources and baseflow in streams is sustained by the infiltration and natural recharge of precipitation;
3. Greater impervious areas result in less groundwater recharge and over time will decrease baseflow in streams;
4. Pennsylvania is one of two states without comprehensive private well construction and siting standards;
5. In Pennsylvania, there is over 47 trillion gallons of freshwater stored in our aquifers, but it we continue to pull out more water than is recharged we will deplete this resource.
B.F. Environmental Consultants Inc is working with local watershed groups, Groundwater Guardian Groups and other organizations to educate citizens and local governments on water resource issues. During this week, we are asking you think twice about the following:
1. What is the source of your water?
2. Have you had the water tested?
3. If you have a private water system with a treatment system, when was the system inspected?
4.How to you manage or store my household waste products and chemicals?
5.Do you change you motor oil - if so where does it go?
6.When was the last time the septic tank was pumped and checked?
Please visit the following websites to learn more about drinking water quality and to find recommendations regarding septic systems, water testing, household hazardous waste, private well construction and much more.
Posted in support for the Carbon County Groundwater Guardians as part of the C-SAW Program at Wilkes University.
# # #
A family owned business based in Northeastern Pennsylvania and providing professional geological soils hydrogeological environmental consulting services since 1985. In addition, we provide distance learning courses in alternative and renewable energy, green building, sustainable systems, and conduct workshops on private well construction and water quality.