Strategy execution took the No. 1 spot, followed very closely by resistance to change and poor communication. On the communication front the plan being too vague scored highest when we looked at the most frequent reason.
The Top 10 Reasons why corporate strategies fail in Europe were as follows.
1. Execution (Poor alignment – synchronization)
2. Resist the change 78%
3. Not communicated to all the people involved 77%
4. The plan is vague (poor communication)
5. The goal isn’t compelling 72%
6. Lack of team Involvement 71%
7. Too many goals 70%
8. The goal isn’t clear 68%
9. The cultural implications are overlooked 67%
10. The correct metrics aren’t chosen 66%
Getting the Job Done
Like everything else in business, improving execution is an ongoing process. However, they say there are steps any company can take that should provide some incremental gains. For example:
1. Develop a model for execution.
2. Choose the right metrics.
3. Remember the plan.
4. Assess performance frequently.
The Pan European Human Resources Network
# # #
Founded in April 2009. Primarily, as a new, "refreshing"