PRLog - Sep. 17, 2009 - BOSTON, MA ---Hypatia Research, LLC today released a report entitled "What Healthcare CIOs Need to Know About ARRA & EHR: Healthcare Technology Solutions & Service Providers" outlining current developments, major adoption challenges, business case justification and an assessment of more than 30 EHR vendors that meet government standards for certification and funding programs.
/ / www. hypatiaresearch. com
This comprehensive 50+ page report [http://www.hypatiaresearch.com/
Benefits of Electronic Records: Efficiency and Access:
Beyond the obvious value of centralized access to patient data, Hypatia Research found that electronic records systems provide health providers with multiple benefits:
2. REPORTING & SECISION-SUPPORT:
3. MEDICAL KNOWLEDGE-BASE:
4. NEAR-TIME & ACTIONABLE INSIGHT: Intelligent EHRs may provide actionable insight into care protocols or diagnostic issues. Some intelligent health records systems (IEHR) take advantage of advances in natural language processing [NLP] and semantic analytics that allow unique clinical data to be aggregated and analyzed for physicians, researchers, and public safety officials in near-real time.
Select Cost Savings & Improvements in Patient Care Efficacy:
Hypatia Research interviewed dozens of healthcare providers and found that EHR supported significant improvements in patient care. Examples include:
• Increased compliance in diabetics from 8.6% to 28.5%
• Reduced errors in patient charting for allergy information from 36% to 11% via electronic reminder alerts for prescribing clinicians
• Increased the percentage of women over age 42 receiving mammograms from 24.5% to 49.4%
• Avoiding approx. 42 potential anti-coagulant overdoses as a result of duplicate prescriptions
According to senior analyst and co-author Sue Hildreth, "EHR isn't a cure-all for the healthcare industry's ills. While the upfront costs of adoption are significant, EHR does have the potential to significantly reduce paperwork and administrative overhead, as well as improve the speed and accuracy of both medical care and medical claims processing."
Contact: Dr. Zvi Ruder
# # #
Hypatia Research, LLC http://www.HypatiaResearch.com delivers high impact market intelligence, industry benchmarking, best practice, and vendor selection research for how businesses use technology and service providers to capture, manage, analyze and apply customer intelligence to enhance performance and to accelerate growth. Coverage areas include: CRM, Business Intelligence, Customer Analytics, Marketing Automation, Database Marketing, and Customer Data Integration and Quality. Since its inception by co-founder Leslie Ament in 2001, clients have relied on us for industry insight, expertise and independent research for guidance in assessing various technology and service options.