“Starting off the day with a bike ride keeps the stress levels down,” said Mitchell Stough, director of Famou5 Ltd. “It’s easy to be aware of so many traffic issues on a bike, but the other drivers don’t seem to notice you. So you must be careful.”
Three cyclists died during May 2009 in Australia. According to Infrastructure Australia, they joined the 14 other cyclist fatalities during the period January 2009 to May 2009. Fourteen were over 34 years old.
“An effective precaution that every rider should take is to wear a properly fitting, Australian Standards Approved helmet,” said Stough. And it’s dangerous to wear earphones while riding a bike on any public road, he said.
Some more bike safety tips are:
• Use a strong headlight and bright red tail light at night.
• Use hand signals at all turns and stops.
• Ride at least a door width away from parked cars.
• Use a mirror or regularly check over your shoulder to monitor traffic.
• Establish eye contact with drivers to ensure they know where you are.
• Follow the road rules. Bicyclists must conform to the same rules of the road as other drivers. Bicyclists have the same privileges and duties as cars and trucks.
# # #
About Famou5 Ltd: Famou5 Ltd. designs and manufactures safety approved helmets for the bicycling industry. The helmets, manufactured to the highest standards in the world, are found at all good local bike shops. The product range can be viewed at http://www.famou5.com .