• Has the device required more than 1 service call every few months?
• Will the machine require a maintenance kit within the next 10 – 20 thousand pages? Maintenance kits run from $200 to $500. If the repair costs you $400+, and the maintenance kit and labor $400, you could be spending nearly $1000 within a very short while.
• Has the machine been in service longer than five years? Technology has come a long way in a very short period of time.
• Have you used up all the supplies you had stored for this machine? If not, can they be returned? Some organizations keep too large an amount of supplies on hand, either because they got lost in the back of the storage closet or the customer ordered in bulk to get a better deal.
• Have you exceeded the manufacturers life-time suggested page counts?
• Do you have several small single function machines in the office, often needing repairs?
• Are the toners expensive and/or difficult to find?
• Is the machine Energy Star ® rated? Are there any power saving features?
• Does the repair exceed the cost of a replacement machine? This depends on two major factors, including what kind of service contract your organization has, and what you would consider for a replacement.
• Are there broken doors/hinges/
• Is the machine noisy and disruptive when it is working?
• When this machine goes down does it cause significant strain and difficulties for employees? Is it a critical piece of office equipment?
• Is the device an ink-jet printer? Repairing ink-jet printers is not recommended for three reasons. First – replacement parts are rarely available. Second – the repair cost usually exceeds the replacement cost. Third – the cost per copy on inkjet printers is so high that it makes more sense to replace the machine with an efficient LaserJet model. (This is not the case for Plotters.)
Often the decision is made easier for you because certain parts are no longer available from the manufacturer. Depending on the age and model, refurbished parts may be available, and are a cost effective way to keep an older machine in service.
Obviously, if your printer is still under warranty keep it. However there are many kinds of warranties, so it is important to read the warranty paperwork. Many small devices from HP have an “Exchange Service”, where HP will ship the customers a new printer and have the customer ship back the defective one. Warranty upgrades are available while the original manufacturer warranty is still in place. If you aren’t sure what kind of warranty you have and are concerned, a factory authorized service provider can look this information up for you and explain your options. All that is normally needed is your device’s model and serial number.
Print technology continues to improve upon speed, noise reduction, energy efficiency, and print quality. Many machines are a great value to purchase new because the technology is getting less expensive, and there are lots of rebates and incentives. Consider these options if a new printer sounds right for you:
• Replacing several desktop printers, a fax machine and a small photo copier with an HP M2727nfs could save 50% in energy, paper emissions, and costs. Calculate your carbon footprint at http://www.hp.com/
• Reliable Certified printers are a great option! Should you decide to purchase a Reliable Certified printer instead of getting yours repaired, the service call labor charge will be reduced. See our Reliable Certified printers at http://www.reliabletechnologiesinc.com/
As a local HP and Xerox warranty authorized repair channel partner, Reliable Technologies keeps a detailed history on every printer serviced. This helps their technicians make educated recommendation. Their technicians are always up front and tell customers when a repair or replacement is in their best interest. If a new printer is required, Reliable Technologies can assist with model selection, delivery and installation too!
# # #
About Reliable Technologies:
Reliable Technologies has helped the community reduce costs, increase efficiency, and increase environmental sustainability through Managed Print Services including software, supplies and service since 1991and for over 15,000 printers. They have funded a research report about administration, IT and document production to help the other organizations understand their costs and environmental impact and how to reduce them. For more information, please visit http://www.reliabletechnologiesinc.com or call 800-346-7890.