But never fear, you don’t have to give up and get a box of Milk Tray just yet. Help is at hand with this handy list of rules for buying the perfect birthday present:
1. Think about what they like doing and work from there. If they love cooking, buy them the latest recipe book or tickets to the Good Food Show. If they’re a film buff, why not take out a subscription to their favourite film magazine? It doesn’t take much to do some digging into their hobbies and come up with a gift that will suit them down to the ground.
2. Keep in mind their age. Your 16 year old niece may have loved all things pink and fluffy 10 years ago, but chances are that these days she’s into something rather different. Remember people’s taste’s change over time, and if you’re unsure ask a member of family what your niece (or whoever you’re buying for) is into these days. Or even ask your niece herself!
3. Don’t feel you have to spend a fortune to find a good gift. Throwing money at the problem rarely helps, especially when we’re all feeling the pinch. Thoughtfulness beats splashing the cash every time, and people are always touched when you’ve taken time to choose a gift that’s just right for them. Handmade presents always go down a storm too – as well as being kinder to your bank balance.
4. Sometimes the best gift you can give a person is a little bit of quality time. Instead of buying a birthday present, why not treat your friend or loved one to a relaxing meal with you, or a trip to a day spa? It’s a great way to show them you care, with the added bonus that you get some downtime yourself.
5. And last but not least, plan early! If you really want to find the ideal gift, give yourself enough time to do it. The last thing you want is to be hunting round town for a gift at the last minute – you’ll end up buying vouchers. Have think about what you want to get a couple of weeks in advance, find out where to get it and then shop around for the best price you can get. That way, when the birthday arrives, you’ll be cool, calm, collected and armed with the perfect gift.
So there we have it – all you need to do to kiss goodbye to birthday present panic is keep your head, follow these golden rules and remember the date of the birthday!
# # #
FInd Me A Gift have been an online retailer since 2000. Number 4 in the gift and flowers category on Hitwise.