"We're writers ourselves," said Tim Harper, one of the partners in Long Dash. "That's why we started the company. We aim to be the most author-friendly and author-supportive self-publishing operation in America. We work with lots of experienced authors, but we welcome first-time authors, too. We know they have lots of questions, and we try to answer them. Every book is different, and every author is different, and we try to meet all their needs."
Long Dash formed as BooksByBookends in Ridgewood NJ in May 2004 and Long Dash merged in September 2007 with Vox Pop, Inc., the bookstore, coffee shop and publishing company based in Ditmas Park Brooklyn and in Manhattan.
Additional services offered by Long Dash include formatting, editing, publishing consulting, copyright and ISBN registration, cover design and more. In addition, Harper said, books published through Long Dash may be offered for sale on the Internet for higher royalties than most publishers pay their authors.
The new business manager, Gabriel Stuart, said, “we’ve switched over our model to offer even greater distribution through Amazon – by the end of the year all of our past titles will be available for purchase through Amazon which greatly increases the opportunity authors have to get their book noticed.”
For a typical self-published Long Dash book, a 5 ½ x 8 ½ -inch paperback, prices begin at $175 for the first 10 copies (more for books longer than 250 pages) and go down after that: $125 for the next 10 copies, and $85 for every 10 copies thereafter. Authors who have not formatted their books themselves can have Long Dash handle the formatting starting at $99.
Harper said Long Dash Books will appeal to:
- First-time authors who want to get their books in print.
- Professional writers re-publishing out-of-print books.
- Nonfiction authors who want their proposals to be bound like books
- Novelists who wants their manuscripts bound to show agents and editors.
- Professors and teachers who want their course material in a single volume.
- Companies and institutions that want their handbooks in book form.
- Graduate students who want their theses to look professional.
- Family historians who want a book for relatives, and for posterity.
- Journal-keepers and memoirists who want their memories preserved.
- Cooks who want to compile their recipes in their own personal book.
- Anybody who wants to publish a book for any reason.
Long Dash has published hundreds of titles in the last four years from books as brief as 25 pages up to lengthy 600-page textbooks.
To see more on the Publish Yourself! services, see www.longdash.com and www.voxpopnet.net where you can see more about:
How to submit your book
Selling your books
Also visit the Vox Pop café for some fair trade coffee and stop by the Publish Yourself! office, just around the corner.
For interviews and more info, contact Publish Yourself! by calling 718-940-0450 or by emailing email@example.com. They are located at 368 Stratford Road, Brooklyn, NY.
# # #
Publish Yourself offers a fresh new way to get printed material out to a large audience. Our mission has been to provide excellent customer service and comprehensive publishing services to get high quality materials printed. We serve professionals, first time authors, poets, biographers, family historians and everyone else that is looking to get their words into print at an affordable rate. Publish Yourself! is a Vox Pop, Inc. company that was founded in 2004 to provide fair trade coffee, democracy and a bookstore in a community-orientated environment.